A biggin' and a baddin'

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jan 20, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    PythonJohn. I know you are retired but I almost gave them your name yesterday. We needed ya.

The little county seat town of 8000 I live near had a little rough go of it Saturday night into today. And that is just the start.

Fire started on our main street at 2:00 am. Before it was over 1/2 block burned to the ground. Eight successful businesses were eliminated and another 8 won't be able to get into their business for God knows how long. There were 16 fire departments from 2 states from as far away as 40 miles and over 50 vehicles involved. Two towers with double hoses, many hook and ladders and a lot of pumpers. They ran out of water and had to start pumping out of our local river. It looked like a convoy of trucks hauling water to that fire.

Temperatures of minus thirteen with a wind chill to below 20. Fellows could only work an hour before being relieved. Half the town lost power because a large line got melted behind these buildings. With gas and power turned off many people had to move out their places and consequently their plumbing froze up. Red cross still in town and I don't know how many people are still living in shelters.

The real trouble starts now. Nancy had contracts with two of those buildings for her cleaning service. I hope my social security went up a lot.

The businesses lost were viable and important. Wal-Mart still hadn't run them out after being in this town for 20 years. I doubt if they will rebuild. These small towns are drying up like prunes. This won't help us any. Infrastructure got beat down. Will cost a lot of taxpayers money to fix. Sales tax revenue will go down. Jobs will be lost. People will move out.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Sent a couple of pictures. Hope they come up.

John.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Gosh all I could think of looking at the pics was, Can ice burn? Hope some tax dollars make it ya'lls way. That hits hard in a small town. Prayers out to those folks.....
    Stay warm John.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dang Beetle....That leaves a bad taste in my mouth..........
    I have something else but there just aint no right way to lighten that up.Thats pure ugly!

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :crazy: Wow! What a horror story! Something like that just leaves me speechless and sad! :sad2: Good luck to your little town John!

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I hate to here this kinda thing especially when it involves someone I consider a friend.thank you for sharing it with us.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thats a very sad story my heart and prayers go out to you and your fellow towns people.:embarassed: I hope you all get the help and support from your local and federal government that you deserve. Keep your head up and stay strong.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Oh John, that's awful :sad2:. I too will be sending up prayers for the folks who lost their livelihoods, and that Nancy will find something else to replace those contracts. We'll be thinking of you.

8. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy John,
    Man, I hate to hear of things like that. I wish nothing but good to you and the folks in your town. They'll rebuild it yes, but that doesn't make it any easier now. Good luck to y'all,
    Bigwhiskers

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I'll be dunked into wax and made into a candle.

Big Whiskers, ya got an avatar! My oh my what an American pie. If I can put up my bug picture you can put up your handsome mug. What a man.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Clearly not a good thing! Hope everybody makes it through this alright!

We still have an empty building in town that blew up a few years ago. Owner abandoned it, can't be located, and the city can't do much until they at least notify him of the property being condemned, foreclosed upon, and seized...or whatever. Anyways...point being...this kind of thing IS hard on a small town financially. May be looking at an eye-sore for awile.

Back in the 80s, our whole town nearly went up in smoke when a backhoe opperator hit a gas main. Hundreds of homes burst into flames. If I can find an image, I will post it in another thread.

Look at all that ice...YUK!

11. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hate to hear anything like that. I hope the ol "when one doors closes another one opens" happens to all of you there. That is crazy to see all those burnt structures amidst the icicles. Good luck to you and yours on this one.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

You and Nancy hang in there and stay warm! Sorry to hear the bad news. Prayers headed to Iowa.

Cheryl

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Terrible news,John,I wish the best for you and the local community. Things like this really hurt a small town economy. and our little towns are havin a tough enough time as it is.

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Sorry to hear about such a tragedy happen to your area. Prayers sent from us in Fort Worth.

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dang John,I Hated to read that post!!!! I'll be praying for All of You.What in the world started the fire or is it to soon to tell? J.D.:sad2:

16. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is tragic... It has been all over the news here. I sure hope the town can recover. It's a pretty neat place.

17. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Our thoughts and prayers are sent those people that live and work in that town that are afected by the fire.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, sad to hear that news. Small towns are usually struggling without something like that.
    Thanks for the pictures.

19. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    John,

Dont' know anything to say that hasn't been said. I'm sure it hurts everyone to have a tragedy like that in a small town. The troubles that you have with a fire like that in the winter is something I have never even thought about...inconceivable to me

I hope everyone is able to get what they need and rebuild what they have lost.

My prayers will include you and Nancy and your townsfolk.

20. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    JOhn,
    So sorry to hear of your town's tragedy. I too live in a very small town, which, like the family farm, are fading away. I pray that somewhere after this horrible tragedy for you and your town, some rainbow will shine some light into your darkness.

Linda