A better banner night on the Mississippi River!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Aug 11, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Cuz really got me motivated with his Banner night post. Thanks Cuz.

I didn't get on the river until 11:30 pm last night, the guy I was going to go with backed out so I decided to wait for the little lady to get off work. I spent about an hour rounding up some bait. Finally had enough asians jump in the boat!:smile2: Then achored up near a barge to utilize the lights so I could rig up my other poles, just respooled with 80lb power pro:cool2:. While I was rerigging, I threw out a pole and told the little gal to watch that pole, it wasn't in the water 5 minutes and she reeled in a 9 pound channel!

Got that channel back in the water and threw out another line and got back to re-riggin. As soon as I had rigged up the last pole, she reeled in another, this time an 11 pound blue.

Got that fish back in the water and pulled anchor and headed for a honey hole.

Anchored in the honey hole, got all four poles in and just about to get a cool drink of my ice cold Mountain Dew when my left outside pole started a slow steady bend to the water. Grabbed the pole and the fight was on, soon enough I had a 43pound blue beauty in the boat! It was at this point that I realized I had forgotten the camera. :angry: Thank God for picture phones!! I hadn't even been fishin for an hour and already had 2 dinks and a HOG! I was already satisfied with the night, it had already been a success. After all how could it get any better right?

Well my buddy called and asked what I was doing, I told him I was on the river and told him to come on out if he wanted. He has been hounding me to go out all year but we just couldn't make it happen. Even though it was late, he decided to come out.

I picked up Dave at the ramp at around 12:50-1:10, I can't remember. (he works midnights and was off last night and couldn't sleep!) Got Dave in the boat and we anchored over another deep hole. Caught a couple more dinks and decided to move down river to another honey hole. Anchored in and got some lines out. Then I realized that we were not "anchored" and had to reel in the lines, pull up anchor and make another attempt.

Finally got anchored, around 3:30am. The little gal was asleep in the lawn chair and I was telling Dave that I have noticed the bite subsides around 3:00am for some reason. I hadn't even finished that sentence when my right outside pole was doing a little dance, then a slow steady bend to the water. I grabbed that pole and set the hook and knew immediately it was a "good" fish. I then handed that pole to Dave and boy what a show! I don't know who was having more fun, him fighting that fish or me watching him!

Finally that fish got to the boat and I couldn't believe my eyes! It was the biggest fish that I had had near my boat ever! I put the net in the water, netted the fish and began lifting the fish up when my net bent like a peice of string! It bent in half, I then reached down and grabbed the ring around the net and lifted that pig in the boat! After all the high fives and the Darryl1 "WOOT WOOT'S" I grabbed the scale. The scale was going between 51-53.5 pounds, on the digital display, even though it says it's a "50 pound scale". So the little gal said to just call it a 52 pounder which was okay with me!! Got a couple pics and set her free!!

Okay, already a monumental night.

At 4:15 am, the little gal was asking to leave. I asked for 15 more minutes to which she relunctantly agreed. With about 5 minutes of my "15 more", my left outside pole doubled over. A hook set and then a fight, while I was fighting that fish, the right outside pole doubled over. Dave grabbed that pole and set the hook and he was fighting a pig. I landed mine, the little gal had to improvise with my now disabled net. A 34 pounder. I set her back in the water and assisted Dave in landing his, a 29 pounder. We highfived and took some pics then called it a night!

All fish were caught and released. All were caught on Goldeye filets and heads in anywhere from 36-52 foot of water.

Those fish were also Dave's first ever blue cats!!!

Attached Files:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    just the rest of the pics!

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good Job and Congrats Bill......You guys are making me depressed....ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! I can't even catch a 30 lber..... In my best holes. Looks like them East siders ain't doing so bad after all!!

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Okay, let me try it again!

Attached Files:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Absolutely Fricken Awesome Big Bill!!!!!! Great Story, and Great Fishing. I keep telling everybody da fish is bitin. Just dont tell Gary. LMAO. Super nice of you to go pick your buddy up and show him some fun. Great Looking Fish Buddy!!! Nice Work. Keep At Em. Wonder if Ol Skip Eye caught any fish last night. He mentioned going out also. Thx for sharing the pics and the story dude. You Da Man!!!

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    No Cuz, you da man, you da man!!:big_smile::cool2::cool2::smile2:

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    My boats still hooked up to my truck from last night.....I'm thinking.....I'm thinking................

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Another great report from the Mighty Mississippi. I can feel a road trip coming on...W

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Gary I'd love to get out there with ya, but I picked up my darling baby girl today so fishin is just gonna have to wait. I'd take her out but it's just to hot out there for a 3 year old.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for the pics and the story.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just another "Eastie" with some Hogs. I wonder what dem "West Coasties" is up to tonight. :smile2:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great Job Bill!

We're wanting to do another Alton trip BAD!

Thanks for the pics!

You and Cuz are setting the pace.

13. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just setting here in the AC. looking @ a hard falling river.:angry: I guess there is always next weekend. I talked my self out of going last night and have been bulled up every since.
    :cool2:
    Tight Lines

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the story and pics. What a night!

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Those ws some nice lookin fish you caught and wantto commend you on the release of all fish.Thanks for a great story.

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Darryl we're just trying to keep up you!:tounge_out:

You've really set the bar high!:wink: It's been fun trying to keep up with ya though!:smile2:

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Now you've done it Bill!:angry:

Deanna says I have to take her to Alton again, TOMORROW!

Man, I Hate that place! Geez, I was just there last week for goodness sakes.:confused2:

Ummmmm...... is the ramp still usable below the dam? I mean, if a guy has to go to all that trouble might as well plan it out a little bit.:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

18. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You guys are really motivating me. I've got to order that boat and get on the water! Thanks for the great story.

19. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Bill. I love hearing these stories it keeps me motivated. I may have to try this night fishing thing. We have been roasting during the day with not alot to show for it. Will you be in Louisiana next weekend?

20. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good story and nice fish, thanks for the CPR's. I miss that river, should be home for a visit later this year and I am thinking I am going to have to spend a couple days on her.