A beginners question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rivercatter, Oct 23, 2007.

1. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I first want to thank everyone for replying to my first question the othre day. The info was very helpfull. Now I have a new one. I am fishing the mississippi river near Chester, Illinois. I dont have a boat as of yet so I'm stuck bank fishing, and would like to know the best kind of rig to fish off of wing dams. My targets are blues and flats, and I fish with live bait fish. Any info would be great.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's hard to be a plain old Carolina rig with a sliding no-roll sinker - unless there's a lot of rock on the bottom, in which case a 3-way rig with a lighter line to the sinker ought to work well. A flat bank sinker works well on a 3-way rigs.

Keep in mind that live bait isn't always the best way to catch a blue cat. Fresh cut bait frequently works a lot better. Be willing to experiment till you figure out what they're eating that day.

3. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to BOC Kenny... There are quite a few good articles on fishing wing dikes around.. Check them out..

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like to fish the NOROLL carolina in current too. I prefer a 7/0 khayle hook wiht this rig, but that is just me. Mr T has it right about the cut bait, i have caught way more blues on cut bait but had reallly good luck this summer on small live gills too.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with Mr.T but i would use a kahle hook instead of a circle in this case.

6. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    pretty much what T says, welcome to the b.o.c.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny Welcome to the BOC. Always good to see another catfisherman from So. Illinois.:big_smile:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Kenny!

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, Illinois. Good luck.