A 357mag rifle what can you tell me?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by 1sporticus, Dec 6, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a friend who has a 357 rifle, I think he said it is a Stevens, anyway I just bought the 357 Rossi handgun, and the rifle sounds good to me. I would be able to use the same ammo. I need to know the ins and outs. I would appreciate any advice. Later Andy

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I own a marlin 357 magnum rifle as well as a Dan Wesson 357 magnum handgun The rifle is very accurate with a 3x9 scope. My son has taken several nice deer with it. It does a good job at about 90 yrds or under. we dont take shots much further than that. But I think it probably could.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Andy there isn't a down side. Lot more than the ol 44-40. I had a Marlin unit that would shoot cloverleafs all day long. Ya get the energy of the 44mag just from the longer barrel. When they first came out Marlin had the micro groove rifling, which did better with a jacketed bullet. Now I think they went to a ballard style rifling , and a lead SWC with a gas check does great, or a light load without a gas check.
    The Marlin is much stronger than the Winchester or Puma. The Puma is a Rossi 1892 clone. But as fellas are prone to say bout some things, "It's all good." Ya can shoot the 38spl. and get the ballistics of the 357. Sometimes longer is better. LOL
    Wish I'd kept mine. Never figured the failing eyesight thing. And Cowboy Action Shooting; hurt us price wise. I think as our eyes start to fail we may be better served by a carbine, than a pistol; except really close and fast.
    :big_smile:

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Andy one thing I didn't think to mention is the ammo ya need in a lever action. The meplate of the bullet has to have a flat profile for the tube magazine. (flat nose profile) And if you reload you have to take extra care in that you have no "high" primers in the cartridge. A high primer and a roundnose bullet is a bad day at the range.
    :roll_eyes:

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Thanks Boots. I was down to the Gun shop today, and was looking at prices ect. I can get a Puma for 450.00. or a Marlin for 615.00. I have some 110gr Hollow points for the revolver, will this work? Later Andy

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Most HP profiles I've seen have a flat nose, should work. And the Puma's got a good rep, cept for a new run of one new chambering. I forget which caliber but it was one of those like the 500 S&W or 460 or one of those; "You really gonna shoot that in a pistol?" They started with the 357 & thousands have been made.
    They were going for bout $300 till cowboy action shooting got so popular, & then Winchester went out of business. Darn!

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here's a little something most people don't know about. For the 357 rifle, the Speer 180grn Gold dot load is actually faster than the lighter bullet 158 grain load. The 180 grain load is actually designed for the longer rifle barrels, and it uses slower burning powder to burn in the longer barrel. The 158 grain and lighter was designed for the shorter revolver barrels, so the powder burns faster to burn up in those short barrels.

The faster burning powder revolver loads have burned up the powder long before the bullet gets to the end of the barrel, so it's slowing down before it exits. If you're using the rifle, I'd get the 180 grain load, should be good out to 125 to 150 yards.

This was confirmed by speer when the loads we were chronographing were showing these results. Was a real head scratcher till they informed us of the difference in the powders. Just thought I'd pass it along.

8. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own a Winchester with the "rifleman" loop. I shot a deer with it using a Remington 125 grain jacketed hollow point. My particular rifle shoots them very well. The shot was at about fifty-yards through both shoulders. Like I keep saying we have small deer. The bullet exited and the deer fell in his tracks. Of course what works for my little animals may not be a good idea for some of you guys' real deer.

9. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    they are pretty cool rifels. same ammo as the 350 mag handgun. stevens in my opnion is crap. but i cant knock it too hard cause it gets worse than stevens. there now much more accurate than the handgun, but much more easy to hold steady. so you can take a farther shot. i dont own one but have fired one and we was hitting our target about 100 yards give or take a few. i wouldnt day we would have killed a deer at that distance but it would have led to a pretty bad day for it

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've decided I need a 357 rifle, does anyone have a gun like this they might want to sell or trade ? Later Andy

11. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have 3 Rossi/Legacy Pumas. I have a trapper lengths in .357 and .45, they both shoot like a dream and run any round you want. I have taken deer out to 75 yards with both of them. My other is the 20" .454 Casull, which is uhh......, different to shoot. It is very accurate, but can be painful depending on the loads. As for the Marlin being stronger than the Puma 92, I have yet to see Marlin chamber their 94 in anything stouter than the 44 magnum.

12. medic442

medic442 New Member

State:
    lonedell mo
    one of my ex-girlfriends dad (years ago..) had a 44 lever. dont remember the brand. however, he swore on that rifle. had a 3x9 on it and had multiple deer on the wall to show for it. he said it was good out to about 100 yards. liked it better that he 30-30.