A 25hp to much?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BigCatDreaming, Feb 21, 2007.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wanted to purchase the 25hp motor on the member sales page and I was wondering if it would be to much for a 14ft fiberglass boat. My dad seems to think it would, but i've had some other opinions saying its not. I guess I just need another couple of opinions.

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    For some it would be too big but others would handle it good.There should be a plate on the boat somewhere that gives weight and horsepower ratings for the boat.
    Jake

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    By all means, go by the data plate on your boat. If it is not there, find a similar boat that has a plate. These are coast guard suggestions and pretty much followed by all the states. Problem is, if your state don't ticket you for an overpowered engine, you may well tear the transom off, damage the boat in other ways, or exceed your weight capacity.

4. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i agree 110% follow the boat ratings

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One thing you definitely want to consider is the weight of a motor that large, especially if it's a 4-stroke. I've got a 4-stroke Yamaha on my Lowe 1648 BigJon, and it definitely sits lower than when I had a 2-stroke on it.

6. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks everybody for the advice!

7. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    I checked the data plate on the boat but go figure out of all the material it shows max hp is the one thing that has been scratched off. I then proceeded to check the boats model number and do a search for it online and since its older theres no history of it. So then i thought to check old records that were given to me from the boats previous owners and discovered the first owner put a 25hp evinrude on it and the second owner a 20hp evinrude. So is it safe to assume its okay?

8. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Since you don't have the HP plate, I would search the net for 14 foot boats to determine motor combinations for sale. I don't believe a two
    stroke 25 is to much for the fiberglass boat.

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I don't know anything about your boat but mine is a 14' alluminum Feather Craft made in aobut 1963. It's rated for a 10 horse. I've got a 2005 25 Merc. with electric start on mine. It can be a little hairy at times running to a duck blind a 3 in the morning but I'm kind of looking forward to replacing the prop with something a little higher pitched for more top end. My brothers both have 75 horse motors on bigger boats and, while I don't get beat by much to the hole I still can't keep up. I'd love ot pass them one of these days with that little pocket rocket. I think a 4 blade stainless might do the trick. I tell you what, go to www.duckhunter.net and goto their forum. They have a great boat forum and some VERY knowledgable folks in the way of boats. One built and raced tunnel boats for many years and gave us a seminar one day on getting 122-128 horse power out of a 40 mercury. Here's http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/ a link to the min forum page.