9ft Tracker Bantam + small engine/alternator combo

Discussion in 'Boating' started by phlat, Aug 16, 2009.

1. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yup, I have a 9ft Bantam that I run on the small lakes with a 46# thrust TM. Scoots it right along. Even been stopped by water patrol in a 'no wake' zone while running on high. :smile2: Been having some ideas of heading to the bigger lakes and try to cove hop. Instead of buying another battery or two, I started thinking about assembling a 5+ HP lawnmower engine and an alternator to make the 'open water' runs so I dont kill my battery and also have the chance to recharge if needed. I could come up with both of them free, fashion the bracket/mount myself and would plan to hang it off the front of the boat (TM is on the back) just to help balance some weight.

Anyone besides my wife think this is the dumbest thing ever?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Me.

I'll show you why.
    You got a 9 foot boat. It will always be a 9 foot boat.
    Makes a helluva lot more sense to buy 2 good deep cycle batteries with a pretty good capacity.

Makes even better sense to use a boat that fits the water.

3. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just working with what I have and trying to make due. The weight and cost of 2 more deep cycles is going to far surpass that of a small gas engine/alternator. Also the idea to hang the assembly off the front motor mount clears floor space. I'm not sure the front mount would hold a battery array. I've considered putting a pair of batteries at a midpoint in the bottom of the pontoons on it, but that would require cutting the top off, removing the foam blocks and lots of fiberglass work to get it back together right.

Just tossing ideas around. A bigger boat is out of the question unless i can get something for cheap. That would probably have to wait till winter when people wanna offload their boats. And it can't be too big cause its gotta fit in the garage, AND tow behind the van/car. That pretty much limits it to 14ft or less.

4. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Unless the engine and the alternator are marine approved, you are asking for trouble. Get a good set of oars or the batteries