9ft fishing rod really needed?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by eric2006, Sep 3, 2008.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My girlfriend bought me a 9ft Hi-tech ole' whiskers rod last week because a lot of people was using 9ft rods at a pay lake around here. Is this really needed or can someone just use 7'6 or an 8ft rod?
    Also does anyone own any Ole' whiskers rods and if so are they a good rod to use for the big ones??

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can enjoy the same success with shorter rods as you can the longer rods. Many prefer longer rods for making farther casts. I prefer 9 & 10' rods for fighting the bigguns. Also I like to be able to sling a bait out 100 yards into the river channel after wintertime Bluecats.:big_smile:

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The longer the rod, the longer the cast. The downside is the longer the rod, the less leverage you will have during the fight.

If you don't need the distance, and you are going for big fish, the shorter, stouter rod is a better bet. If you need the distance, I have used 10 ft rods off a lake shore for long winter casts. I like my 7-8 footers for other times I am out on shore...

I just got an Old Whiskers 8 ft med heavy casting rod, and for the money (20.00) I can overlook the crooked guides. I haven't fished it yet, but we'll see how it goes. For the money, they are fine.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Max rod I use is a 8 footer.

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive seen my wife pull in numerous cats over 20 and one that was over 40 and didnt have any problem. hers is the 8 ft model.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, anything over 8' is a specialty rod, great when you need to make those long casts, but too cumbersome for normal fishing. For normal fishing, I use 7' - 8' rods. I do have a couple of 14' rods for those special situations, though. NOTE: Spinning rods may be an exception to my length limit, because it's sometimes very hard to find a really heavy duty spinning rod in 8' or less length without spending a lot of money.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like the 9' rods. Actually I use them more than any other rods I have whether I need casting distance or a short cast. If I need to cast really far like at the dam I'll go with my 11' rod. Boat fishing I'll go with the 7' rods.
    Ole Whiskers rods are not bad for the price. I know several people that have them and like them.

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Rods are like your toolbox, you select the right one for the job at hand, fishing is no different, shrter rods will handle big fish if everything is in tune, ie; drag, line test ect. from my experience longer rods take more of the shock out of the line when a big fish slams it, you can cast long if needed & have the confidence to land the bruisers. So 9' is my all around pick for Oklahoma fishing.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I fish mostly with 6.5 -7.5 foot poles, and see no reason for longer ones for how I usually fish. There is a place for the longer poles, though. Long casts has been mentioned, another is that it lets you get your rod tip up higher and have less line actually in the water. That can be a big help when you are fishing cross current in a river, you catch less water pressure and debris on your line, and your bait will stay in place better. I've fished in places / conditions where having a longer pole made the difference between catching fish vs having my line just get washed downstream into snags all of the time on the shorter poles.

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    out of a boat i like 6'6 to 8 ft too long in a boat is a pain

on shore i like 8 ft to 12 only over 8 ft if long casts are needed .

when i was fishing the missouri river off the bank 7 to 8 ft was what i usually took most places my 12 ft rods where too long because of over hanging tree limbs to cast or set the hook .

but down below truman dam the 12 ft rods where great because long cast was needed .

fishing is kinda like hunting 1 gun dosnt fit all situations so 1 rod wont either lol if you fish many different styles and places .

but dosnt mean your rod wont work and catch fish it will just different situations different rods make it easier .

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with you there is a rod for every different way you want to fish but 8 to 9 ft or probably the most common

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like my 9 footers.i have a 10 that i take with me every trip,though.that way i can get farther out if need be.
    i do have a couple of 12's that i have if i wanna fish a couple spots on a lake around here though

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mainly fish with 12ft rods..my next purchase is goona be a 14fter

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The biggest fish I ever caught was on a rod that was 5.5' or 6' long; rated for 100# test line. The fish was an 85# grouper.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Same as the CATMAN I can say. My Bro, has fished the mister whisker rod for yrs,and he always chose the 9' rod,, He has caught several flatheads over the last few weks on the 8 1/2'rod I just built for his birthday and likes it very much, but he also has the whiskers right beside it.:wink:

I've fished with 8 1/2' Hvy- Mega Hvy - Moderate fast to Fast tip customs for the last 25yrs.Its Backbone & faster tip moves line fast on the hookset and is comfortable for many different applacations.Boat or bank,- creek,river,pond,lake,channel- blue or flathead It will do the job. Great all around rod IMHO.

You will like your 9' rod for sure. Kenny

16. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use rods in size from 7 feet on up to 12 feet depends on the situation. If I need to fish in heavy brush I use my 7 footers long cast I use my 10 and 12's for that just what ever it calls for.

17. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Eric the replies that have been posted here pretty much answer most of your questions.Therefore I don't have much to add as far as the use of the rod goes. If I may though I would like to offer some advice. You say that your girlfriend bought you the rod. Hug her neck, thank her and use the rod. Brag about the fish you catch on it to her. Women that buy you fishing and hunting stuff don't come along every day. Enjoy it and maybe she will get you some more fishing "tools":wink:

18. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    a longer rod is always ideal for big cats.try a 9ft whuppin stic,they are a great rod and are not that exspensive.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Little bitty ice fishing to 20 foot collapsible rods were in my arsenal.Each had it's place for me as my fishing covered a wide range in many ways.I had 9 boats 17 foot and under for years and used them all.I had a fleet of small cheap boats and motors and no expensive ones.The same with rods and reels.I fished for everything it seems.

All else being equal,I believe a longer rod to be more forgiving with a fish on because you have more rod to give and take.They can also be too long when landing a fish or around obstructions.That 22 inch rod can also be too long.What you like is what counts.

A "GIFT" has always been very special to me and I treasure them whether they are the best for the situation or not.I just enjoy them!

Some reels just seem to do better on certain rods too.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have 2 of them I got 3 or 4 years ago and like them . they are 9'ers as well. I havn't caught any 60# hog with them,but would trust them completely if I did.