997 questions

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by jerry9497, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I know theres alot posted on here and I have read most but I still got a question or 3.

1. does the SI picture scroll across the screen? is it like taking a photograph? is it like looking live through a video camera? hows that work?
    2. how would you use it, look at certain spots or troll along looking at everything?
    3. can you see "catfish" on it. Ive seen bait fish suspended and white perch suspended but can you pick up a fat hawg laying or cruising the bottom? got a picture of it? I saw deerhunters picture but hard to read with insert window and zoom.
    I hope to get one soon but not sure how it works.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    oh yea, and do I want the extra maps even though they dont have my lake? I do fish other places sometimes, does the uni-map show bottom comtours like HSmaps?

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    thanks Russell
    also hummingbird.com has a little better site than last time I looked. I bought it today. 997 bought 2 gig chip to go with it, trolling motor tranducer mount, got to get me a ram mount so I can switch it between boats. I'll be busy in the morning but it will be installed by night fall saturday:big_smile: . I just read the english half of manual as soon as I finish this mexican half I'm going fishing:smile2:

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Congrats on the new 997. I like the ideal of the Ram Mount and the accessory from Ram for mounting the GPS puck with the unit. That would make it much easier to mover from boat to boat. Just need a couple more transducers and I can have a 997 on all the boats for a fraction of the cost. I had seen the gps puck plate but it did not even dawn on me that would make is easier to change from boat to boat.:embarassed::baffle: Good idea.:big_smile: Thanks
    David

5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Back in the late 60's I bought a Lowerance flasher. I thought it was great and spent a lot of time watching it. In the years past I've had 6 other types of locators and watched them a lot.

The 997, I can't keep my eyes off it, and it definitely interferes with my fishing. I'm not an expert with it by a long way, and probably never will completely appreciate all it is capable of.

Honestly, I enjoy learning about structure that no one else knows about. I find myself getting a little agravated when I catch a fish because it takes time away from LOOKING AT whatever is down there. I troll and drift fish mostly, and my eyes are glued to the screen.

I'm looking forward to using it on the Mississippi river at St. Louis just to see what is really down there. I E cars, barges, bodies, boats, and God only knows what else. Fishing honestly takes a back seat to watching the damn thing. My bigest problem with the 997 is getting my wife out of the way so I can watch!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!