99 Yamaha V-Max where to begin?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, May 6, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My buddy Cincycat purchased this engine, it came off of a striper guide boat that had been sunk. He got it for next to nothing, and the Marina he bought it from didnt have much info on what took place with the engine afterwards, and we are not sure how long ago it happend. We were able to get this thing fired up, so he took it to a mechanic, who "claimed" that it seized up on the first crank, which is interesting since we were able to fire it up, before and after this incident with the mechanic. Now the only way we could get it to turn over was by putting a very small amount of fuel in each cylinder, so it seems like the problem is its not pulling any fuel in to fire, since it did fire once we added some manually. Where to begin with this engine? Again, we dont know the steps that were taken once this thing was pulled from the water, or even 100% sure that it was completley submerged, if I could guess I would say it was. Just not sure why the mechanic would give up so quickly, when we can get it to fire easily without any type of "so called" seizing up...Thanks in advance..Cincycat may add his own experience with this engine as well. We did a compression check a while back, I dont remember the numbers but he may, I think all but 1 cylinder was in the 90's and 1 around the 110 range?

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Forgot to add its a 150hp

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If that engine took on water inside it weather surmerged completely or just enough to take on water in the block then I would be concerened with the internal parts being rusted. If it wasnt dried out and oiled real good and ran some after being surmerged I would venture to say if you do get it to running it won't run long.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks bubbakat and that may be the case, but we are still gonna give it a go, what are some things we should look for, and where should we begin?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The only way to check it is to bust it down and check the bearings. Now if you just want to take a chance then take the plugs out and take you some pree mix heavy on the oil side and free wind that motor and suck that raw fuel mix with the oil into the engine until it oils the inside up and then let it set for a couple hours and put clean plugs back in and try to start. Make sure that the battery is fully charged and all connections are clean. Run the first fuel through it with a heavy oil mix. I would go with something like 40 to 1

6. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bubba.....this is my engine TBull is asking about. Thanks for your advice so far!!

What you described is most what I've done so far and it does turn over freely at this point and fires up for a second if fuel is manually added to each cylinder, but the problem I now have is not getting ANY gas (with oil mixed in of course) to the carbs. I found one of the two fuel pumps to be cracked and leaking so that one was replaces with new, but still no gas at carbs.

I'm assuming I don't have vacuum getting to the fuel pumps, but haven't checked it yet. I was going to check my manual to track the vacuum system to see if I have a leak or open spot somewhere.

Any advice on what else it could be, or how best to check vacuum system...???

Thanks again!!!

Griff

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The needle could be seized to the seat. Take the carb apart and see if its getting fuel through the needle and seat. As for the vachum route I would have to look at it to figure that one out since I don't have a manuel on that motor and one on line is hard to come by.