99 Olds.....Talk about some idiot engineers

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by teaysvalleyguy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, last couple days have been a blast on the Hardbarger homefront. My car bit the dust, wifes car's heater core started leaking the same day.

Last night was just another adventure for us. Wife called and said she was on her way home from picking up Madison around 4. Well, at 6 she was still not home. The serpetine belt broke on her dads car, the 99 Olds (Alero I think, not sure) that I am referring to in title of post.

No big deal, serpentine belts are easy to replace right??? WRONG!!!!!

These idiot engineers at the Olds plant that year decided that if your belt ever breaks then you would have to remove 2 motor mounts to squeeze 1/2 the belt through so you could replace it. There is no other way around it. Remove 2 motor mounts, lower engine and squeeze belt through, then remount the motor.

Just a heads up, sell the car if this ever happens to you!!!!! Luckily dad is a Master Mechanic on Heavy Equiptment and had his work truck home, or we would of never got that fixed.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tea, I'll tell you what an engineer with one of the major car companies told me.
    "When we Autocad design these cars and the parts and the sequence it all goes together, we are designing for the assembly line.
    Its how fast this car can be built on a line with ease.
    We could give a crap if you have to remove the engine to change the oil or take off the fender to change a battery.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice attitude. Those companies deserve to lose business - too bad their employees would suffer.

I know it's a totally diff subject, but that's one of the things I like about mynew Honda outboard, they actually put the oil filter where it can be reached without removing the whole engine, draining the oil is a cinch, the spark plugs are accessible, etc. Nice someone actually thinks about the customer.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is a method to their madness.
    They make their money on that assembly line.
    Once that car is sold they've already made what they are going to make, it's over. Let the mechanics figure out how to work on it.

There are jobs out there that do just this. Take cars apart and document how to change this or that part. Thats how the auto manuals are done.

Lets face it, whats the first thing people say about a car? Oh man! Its easy to change the head gasket on that car or Man, thats a beautiful ride. I got to have one?

We have cars on the road now that have disposable engines. You dont work on them you replace them. The entire motor is recyclable. A valve seal could cost you 4-5000 dollars.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Another thing they do is all go to the bar at lunch time and get ****faced and then come back and design things.
    At least you would think so when the hot oil from the filter you can't actually see, only feel, hits the cross member and runs down your neck...W