99 ford ranger gear whine?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Cattracker16, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    my buddy has this 99 ranger that he bought and when he is driving it it has a gear whine when clutch is pushed in it stops any ideas why this machine is whineing? he checked all the fluid levels the are fine. any ideas would be much appreciated.. thanks in advance

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    one word - transmission

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    well if that wasn't enough words how bout answering a couple questions.

1: Does it whine in all gears?
    2: Is it just a noise or can you feel it? Is there any lag in the gears?

It's very possible he's losing a gear in the transmission. Depending on the situation, it's cheaper to buy a remanned tranny than try to get gears replaced in it. Not too difficult to change the transmission out in that truck I don't think. I believe the most aggravation part was putting the starter back on. If you replace the tranny, better go ahead and replace the pressure plate/throwout bearing.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What you just stated here leads me to think it's the throw-out bearing. When the vehicle is in motion, the engine & tranny are still in motion, the clutch just "disconnects" the two.

By pushing-in the clutch pedal, he's exerting force on the bearing, thereby stopping the noise.

As mentioned, it's be a good time to look at the rest of the clutch, pressureplate & flywheel. If reusing the last2.....have them resurfaced if you install a new clutch disc. Might also inspect the pilot bearing (in the end of the crank, which supports the input shaft of the tranny.)

Smitty

5. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Well the release bearing normally makes noise when depressed, not when released. I would say more likely the bearing on the input shaft since this stops turning when you press the clutch. The release bearing is still turning and under pressure when it is pressed, if anything it should be louder when pressed, not quieter.

6. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    This is a easy trans to pull out. Plan on replacing the clutch disc pressure plate, throw out bearing pilot bearing have the fly wheel resufaced if it has hot spots.I would also recomend that you replace the clutch slave cylinder while the trans is out. (hydralic part that takes place of a linkage) When you pull the trans out you will need to disconnect the hydraulic line at the trans. It has a small plastic ring you need to push in while you try to slowly work the line loose. Also its easier if you totaly remove the shifter from the top of the trans. Check starter ring gear for worn theeth. the clutch resiver takes dot 3 fluid. Dont try to replace the clutch master cylider its a pain to bleed.I dont bleed anything if i just replace the slave cylinder.You might want to get a clutch alignment to to help line up the clutch.