99 dodgeram 1500 v8

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by South Grand Laker, Jan 3, 2010.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 v8 magnum, i ran it pretty low one day on gas, went and got gas the next morning, and within a few days it started running bad, boggey, wouldn't accelerate normal, and a few days later just started getting worse, wouldn't go faster then 25mph , you would hit the gas pedal and it would make a vumpft sound kinda bogged out you know or clogged up sound, and i was only still driving it around because i wanted to run the rest of what could of been bad gas out and i put some lucus gas treatment in it and so i was just trying to run some through it, well nothing helped just got to the point where she sits behind the house and doesn't even start now, i turn the key it just try's to kick over but won't, anyways, im wondering if it is the fuel filter, because the fuel pump when you turn the key kicks on and shuts off like it suposed to, but this year of dodge, you have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly in order to replace the fuel filter, so i guess my real question is how do i find out for sure what it is i need to work on? fuel filter, pump, injectors? o2 sensors?

Any help it appreciated, thanks alot for any ideas

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Caytalyic converter? One of the symtoms.

3. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i suppose your fuel pump is like almost all the newer vehicles,in the tank. if so, i can tell you what happened.. when you run a pump low on gas, especially with age on it, it runs hot because no gas to lubricate and keep it cool. Also it picks up all the sediment and crap in the bottom of tank and that usually blocks filter.. only way to check it is find where the gas line hooks up into fuel rail. There should be some sort of bolt to break loose. Loosen the bolt dont take it out and see if any pressure is there while cranking the engine over. im pretty sure there wont be. then try to listen for a humming in tank to see if pump is working..some are hard to hear but should be able.. even if you here a humm doesnt mean not bad just connections are ok.. only true way to check is pressure .
    If all this is negative.. drop the tank and replace fuel pump and filter.. should get u going.. if it was a sensor a warning light of some kind would illuminate on the dash..:wink:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    How long has it been sense you replaced the fuel filter year or so ? check fuel filter if good check your fuse pannel for blown fuse if not you might have a bad fuel pump relay . hope this helps

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Somewhere on the fuel rail is a fitting that looks like a valve stem. You can check fuel pressure there. Just because you can hear the pump kick on in the tank doesn't mean it had adequate pressure. You should be able to call parts store and find out what pressure should be. Good luck and let us know what you try, works or don't work.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I'm guessing either this, or a clogged catalytic converter.......i try not to let my vehicles get below 1/4 tank these days....its bad for the pump.

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah it would be nice to not let it get under 1/4, but these days its nice if i atleast have a 1/4, serious im broke down you know what, anyways so i need more people leaning one way or the other to come up with a conclusion, thanks though all posts

8. Could be just bad gas ya got. Throw some dry gas in it. There should be a frame rail mounted filter somewhere, replace it, and while ya got it apart, blow some compressed air into the line running to the fuel tank (remember to take the fuel cap off!) that may unclog anything that could be stuck in the pump/screen. If you got gas with water in it, it could be freezing up on ya too. Definately get some fuel from another source and throw it in there to help.

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would start by checking fuel pressure. It should be 50 p.s.i. plus or minus 2 p.s.i.. Then if not I would scan it and look for codes. A clogged converter, (which is common on this engine) can be hard to diagnose. If you have good fuel pressure and fire loosen or remove the y-pipe bolts at the manifolds. Then try to start it. If it starts and runs o-k the converter is plugged, and needing to be replaced. But, the converter is not the cause. It's the effect of a lower intake leaking vacuum and ingesting oil. It has a "turkey pan" on the bottom of the intake. They blow out and suck oil into the intake and end up plugging the converter. If your converter is plugged you need to fix this or it will do the same to the new one! A simple check it to remove the breather and crack the throttle plates and look into it with a flashlight. If it's leaking there will be oil puddled on the pan at the bottom. other indicators are, heater that shifts from floor or panel to defrost when you accelerate. defrost is the default position. When you accelerate it loses vacuum and shifts. and a rough idle in gear. Make sure you check spark. The distributor caps are hard to get to and most people ignore them till they go bad. Good luck... Oh yea. There is no frame mounted fuel filter on these trucks. The fuel filter is part of the pick-up on the pump. They last a lifetime. I've never seen one plug up.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010