99' 25hp Mercury tiller

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by whisker_chaser, Jun 12, 2007.

1. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A bolt worked loose on mine and it wouldnt go into reverse. Well I guess I was feeling tough and I twisted so hard that it skipped a gear or something inside the handle. Now I have no throttle in reverse. Anyone have any advice? I think that the gear that has slpped is the one right at the base of the tiller handle where it pivots up for storage.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Ben do you have a manuel on that engine. If you do then you will have to tear it down till handle that is and set it back in time. The tiller has to have the right amount of travel or it doesn't work as you found out. I ain't for sure but I think yours works off a cable inside the handle.

3. whisker_chaser

State:
    Missouri
    The cable goes to a couple of gears on the side of the motor that work the forward reverse and throttle for each. There is no adjustment there that will help though. The problem is in the bottom of the tiller handle I think. I think that there is a gear there that I have slipped. I dont have a manual.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll see if I can locate a exploded view of that handle. In the mean time take your digital camera and take pictures along the way to assist you in reinstalling everything and tear that sucker down and fix it. Its man made and can be fixed.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    If it is the tiller arm itself it should be a simple fix. Just remove the tiller arm. Put the throttle on the engine back in low idle position by hand. Then put the throttle on the tiller arm back in the low idle position and relace it. Vern

6. whisker_chaser

State:
    Missouri
    How does the tiller arm come off?

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Not sure on a 99, but most tiller arms are a one or two bolt deal. maybe I'm missing something. Vern

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If I am right look on the back of the sterring handle where the handle folds up and it should have two allen head screws in it. One oneach side. I think if you loosen those up some you can out it back in time. It lets the arm expand away from one of the gears so you can adjust the twist throttle control end.