98lb Blue Catfish caught in California

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by PhillyCatcatcher4, Dec 19, 2007.

1. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Has anyone got any info on this fish? I am trying to get the link on it.
    It was caught in an San Diego lake.

Attached Files:

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for posting the article Greg. Lower Otay is known for big blues. Now San Vicente, is an awsome resevoir. Too bad it will be closed for five years due toconstruction. It is scheduled to close sometime in 2008. Can you imagine how big the fish will get once they open back up in 2013!

Jaime

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I think he should have practiced CPR. :sad2:

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I bet there will be some real trophies coming out of there.:wink:

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There were some other pictures posted a while back of another guy with a couple of 80lbers that he caught in California and he kept both of them. It's kind of a shame to see those fish get taken from our waters. Oh well, it's passed it's genes on for many years.

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Do you know if they are draining the resevoir? If not and they are going to close that resevoir down for five, years that will be like fishing virgin waters once it opens again. There should be some huge fishing coming out of there.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a HOG!!! It does stink about not CPR but to each his own. If it was all legal he has every right in the world to keep it and eat it. Myself,I like to release 90% of all cats and ALL over 10#'s. What someone else does makes no difference to me. I wish they would practice CPR but nothing I can do about it except try to spread the words of CPR around,which I do every chance I get.:big_smile:

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I congratulate the man on catching a fine fish!

The spirit of catch and release in So Cal is not very strong as evidenced by the monsters pulled mostly out of San V that get taken home. At least they do get eaten and not driven around in the back of somebody's pickup then discarded when they start to rot.

As for San V, I read that they have shocked up 100+ lb fish there. 5 years of zero fishing pressure. I can't imagine the fishing when it reopens.

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I agree with Greg that fish should have been CPR'd

10. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    What a tank!! Looks like that would be a great place to make a fishing trip. I myself don't keep cats of 15lbs or more. But they did eat it so what can really be said? Not a choice most of us on here would make butt......

J

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea its a shame that some are driving fish around and tossing them if thats happining, i know the fish and game would be peed off if they seen that here. but if they are eaten thats acceptable. some around here wouldnt drive around with it rather theyd clean it and put its head on a fence pole on the corner (country road folk).

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

You know it's funny you'd mention that. I, by a simple twist of fate ran into a guy a couple years ago who when he found out I was a fellow angler persued to show me 7 (count 7) flathead heads nailed up to a peice of plywood in his garage that he had caught on his last fishing trip. I asked him (knowing not one of them cats were under 40lbs by looking at their heads) if he kept the harvest for food? His exact reponse was " He11 no, their too big & would taste like $hit"!!! It was all I could do to keep myself from smacking him dead in his mouth, but I kept my cool. I spent about 5mins trying to explain the use of a camera & hows he's effecting the cat population (not to mention it gives anglers a bad rep.), he simply said I had no clue what I was talking about. At which point I lost my cool & started to give him a verbal beating knowing that I was on his property & would go to jail if I did anything else. The situation came to an end when he informed me that he was going to call the police if I didn't leave his property. Some people are just plain ignorant & there's nothing you can do.

J

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    That is the kind of thing that makes me :angry:. I haven't caught a flathead over 20lbs, and to hear that someone killed several that probably weighed over 40lbs is a real shame.:sad2:

14. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

Yeah it's sad & who know how long this guy has been doing this? I would of guessed him to be in his mid 40s.:sad2: He was like talking to a 2yr old, but I guess that would kind of make sense.

J

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man thats a bummer they didnt cpr tht fish...:sad2:

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know... nevermind... i have talked about ethics since i have joined, and that was my main focus... go ahead brothers talk about the filets and how you would grill such fish... im done arguing over ethics.. i know...bigger fish taste better... lol... when the bottom line is your lazy a$$ don't want to cut up many small fish!!! i hope someday after your dead and gone your son and his kids can't catch anything worth while!!!!! rollo

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    well i cant blame a man for feeding his family,but no one has the right to say "man he should have cpr'd that fish" but i do not agree that that big fish should be rode around in the back of a truck showing it off,and then throwing it away,BUT if he cought tha fish legaly then i cant say anything.

18. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Tom, if my memory serves me correct, San Vicente will not be drained. I believe DWP is going to make the dam bigger.
    The California record was caught at San Vicente 101 pounds I believe.

Jaime

19. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    There was a company that would make you a copy of a fish you caught if you would send them the length and girth measurments. If you want a trophy of the fish you caught. Then you can turn it aloose. I don't recall their name. Thats what he should have done unless he was going to eat it.
    To me a big fish like that don't taste good the meat is real course tasteing.
    Smaller cats are a lot better eating.