98 Johnson 2 Stroke 25 HP

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Cathunter Pete, May 10, 2008.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I have a question about my outboard Johnson, 25HP, 2 Stroke. In December I took it out on the river and ran it about 6 miles up river with no problems. I sat with the motor off for about 4 hours fishing. I started the motor up and began my run back to the launch. About 15 minutes into the run, a loud audible alarm went off and would only go silent after I turned the motor off. At first I thought the motor may have been overheating, but I pulled the cover off and checked the heads on the motor, I was able to place my hand on the heads and the heads seemed at normal temperature. The motor was putting out water through the port on the motor, may have been a little weak?

Two weeks later I ran the motor on the flusher for about 45 minutes then I took it out on the river and ran it similar to the time in December. This time however there was no issue with the motor, or audible alarm. It ran strong and well.

In April I took the boat out and ran it. I ran it about six miles up river and set for a few hours fishing. About 5 minutes in to the run, the audible alarm sounded. There was water flow coming out of the port on the motor. I placed one of my fingers in the exhaust port and removed some oil on my finger. I started the motor back up and it ran fine the rest of the 25 minutes back to the launch.

I talked to my boat dealer, mechanic and he said he didn't think anything was wrong with it. He never looked at it, but I described what it was doing to him. I'm not sure if something is wrong or not. I don't have a lot of experience with boat motors. Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking that the waterpump may be on it's last leg, but not really sure.
    Thanks.

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got stuck out about 16 miles off the coast of Ft. Myers Fl with a similar Yamaha problem. Ended up the injector oil reservoir bracket was rusted free and sitting sideways. Which tripped the low oil sensor that set off the alarm and idled the motor down. We got towed in ($1,200 tow bill that Boat US insurance covered) and got caught in a sideways electrical storm complete with hail while being towed. A trip myself and my son remember well.

3. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    That definately doesn't sound like a lot of fun, I hope to never be in that situation. I'm pretty sure low oil isn't the issue with my motor. I keep the oil tank full, plus I mix it in the tank 50:1 as well. The mechanic at the dealer said that would be the best bet because the auto oil injectors on 98 Johnson 25HP 2 strokes, go out all the time and can cause major trouble. He said to be safe just mix in the tank as well. The motor does burn rich by doing both. I suggested bypassing the oil tank altogether but he said it wasn't worth doing that. I just hope there isn't nothing wrong with my motor and if there is someone here may have had the same experience and be able to give me advice.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    From what I can read here you have a defective low alarm sensor in the oil tank. If that tech advised you to pre mix your oil plus use the oil injector also, I would be finding me a tech that knows what he is taking about. That engine wasn't designed to run worth a darn with that much oil mixed with the fuel. Either disconnect the oil tank or quit the pre mix you are killing the plugs in that engine. Those oil injectores don't go bad all that often. What brand of plugs are you running and what is the gap on them.

5. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't know that much about 2 stroke outboards but I'm an old motorcycle racer. Mixing the oil twice is NUTS. Sorry but your tech ain't much of a tech. I noticed in the earlier post the dealer didn't think anything was wrong with it but didn't look at it? Hope you don't have a doctor like that. If the alarm is going something is wrong ether with the engine or the alarm sensor. You better buy a case of spark plugs if you're gonna run it with that much oil.

If you're not at least a basic motor head find a local "BubbaKat".