97lb. Flathead Catfish found in the Yuma area!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Flatheadhunter33, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Last weekend I had the pleasure of meeting with a gent who works over at YPG. I dont know his official title but he does animal control and data collection type work on the base. Aside from informing me that there are approx. 200 big horn sheep in the area and the fact that there are a growing number of mountain lions in the Dome Valley area, he also told me about a flathead that was shocked to the surface while collecting data for small mouths on the Colorado. While he wont tell me exactly where the fish surfaced, he did say that it weighed in at a little over 97lbs! I think that by any standard that is a world class fish!? All the more reason to get out there and fish!

2. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THAT IS COOL! There are definatly some big ones out here.

Did he happen to mention how big the smallmouth population is in the area? I have yet to catch one and I hear they are great fighters.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    WOW if true. i know that last spring i believe it was, the marine bioligists that do the shocking did their annual flathead survey. they brought up, taped, measured and weighed a 68lb flathead. know where they got it too. within a short distance from where i kept getting broke off the summer before. i wonder????
    gary

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Gary,
    I beleive the one they got in the spring was 89lbs..
    * Probably the same fish.. Regardless, all three did not take my bait this year.. Maybe in '09!! lol.

* I will try to find the link...
    ~A

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Here is the description:

Colorado River (between Picacho State Park and Imperial Dam):
    This area is expected to be good to excellent for largemouth bass, channel catfish, and flathead catfish. Bass and channel catfish in excess of 5 pounds are relatively numerous, along with flathead catfish as large as 40 pounds. Our survey this spring turned up an 89-pound monster that should still be lurking in the waters where it was found.
    Bluegills are also present in the various backwaters. Occasional striped bass will be caught in the main river channel, especially near Imperial Dam. Fishermen did quite well on small stripers this spring between Martinez Lake and Imperial Dam.

Here is the link:
    http://www.azgfd.net/fish/southwestern-arizona/southwestern-arizona-46/2008/10/06/

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    well I for one would say that is one big fish no matter where it is. I only hope that who ever does catch it will CPR it so it can grow up.:roll_eyes:

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i stand corrected. thought was 86, but wrong. but still know where it was at. same spot they get them at almost every yr.
    it probably is the same fish. i know i sure fed the one i kept losing a lot of gills last summer.
    gary

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The only thing he really mentioned about the smallmouths was that none of them weighed more than 8lbs. Still sounds like fun to me though. I didnt even realize that they were in this area.

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Dameon, thanks for sharing, it did look cold out until i saw this post! I had heard that when they shock fish it only works in certain depths of water, i don't know anything about it, but to know one is out there 100# is incredible.How many pounds of live bait can he consume a day{as much as he wants}

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    open mouth, inhale!!!!!
    stay away, he's mine, you hear, mine, mine, mine!! :)
    gary

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    emmm very interesting:0a31: , been thinking this next year I'm going to be hitting up the river below Walters camp down in to Picacho.. Maybe we need to think about making the gathering down there in that part of the river this year, maybe see about Walters or MacIntyre's

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Supposively a few years ago there was a 100 pound class flat shock in the Palo Verde Canal canal I was told. I also heard about the 86 pounder. They are out there and someone is bound to break the 72 pound record Ca flat record. It was already broken earlier but was used for tacos and fillets earlier in April.:roll_eyes:

13. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I remember hearing about those big fish in the canal and down in yuma.Its only a mater of time.....I know the 66 I relesed last spring is gonna be a contender for the record in a year or two.
    I wonder how far those fish move to spawn?Do they spawn in the tail waters of the diversion danm,or can they hole up under any bank along the river??The fish in the canals probley spawn in the canals right?

14. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dale / Everybody,

Something that I am interested in doing is trying for flatheads during the daytime and nightime just before spawning along some of that section. I remember fishing in Georgia in the spring/early summer along the bends in the river and having a ton of success. Granted, there is a big difference between Arizona/California and Georgia but I am interested in trying it. By summer, I should have some good vacation time coming to me.

Ryan

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It should be a good chance at having sucess. But remember that those fish do not all spawn at the same time. The spawn can last a total of 2 1/2 months like from mid April thru Mid June. I caught them with eggs as early as beginning of April thru mid June. Depending on weather and water temp its pretty much a quesstimate at when the spawn may start this year. I did see though that they started in the canals earlier than they did the main river mainly due to the canal temps being like 5 degrees higher than the main river. I did pretty well a few times during the day time on the canals to my surprise and the temp was not all that hot in the early spring thru mid spring there. During the last 4 years of fishing that region I can say that May thru mid June has been the average time of the spawn. Basically the whole month of April can be the pre spawn period and some will already be engaged in the spawn at that time.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Those flats in the canal do spawn in there I caught plenty with eggs. Plus the canals have all of the essentials that they need in food and vegetation. Those flats were stacked up along the banks in those trees and weeds. Its kind of like flatheat hotel to me with all of that vegetation.

From what I been told and heard about, the flatheads do not move very far from their zones much, maybe between 1 and 3 miles the most. Lots of times they will return to the same areas year after year.

Here is a good article - understanding the catfish spawn - from Game and Fish magazine.

B

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/RA_0606_06/index.html