97 Pound Catfish in Tournament??

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by blackburnian, Sep 24, 2006.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I was just told a story about a 97 Pound Catfish caught in an Ohio River Tournament, and the bait was a whole dead chicken. Does anyone know about this? Sounds fishy to me. I wouldn't have thought much of the story, but it came from a Gander Mountain store employee who seemed to have at least a basic knowledge of fishing. All I could find on the internet yesterday was about whole dead chickens as bait for Wels Catfish overseas.

2. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    would love to see that one

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Now thats what I call a fish story! LOL! I would like to see the rod & reel combo used to toss out a whole chicken. Funny thing is I just roasted two whole chickens for our family dinner yesterday and they both weighed about 7# each. That would be like casting out a anchor!:crazy:

4. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I am wondering if the Gander Mountain employee confused a story of the 47 Pound new PA record with a story about Wels Catfish.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    True or not, it's gotten my imagination going! It definatly makes for a really good fish story regardless!

6. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Im sure it could happen, almost anything is possible.:cool2:

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Haven't Heard Anything About That But Anything Is Possible. Lol

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    when fishing with big bait You don't cast. I have used bait 10 pounds or more and you let it out not throw it out.

It sure seems we would know if this happened. It's not easy to keep a fishing story from the biggest cat fishing organization in the world.

9. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, noone has posted anything on this crazy fish tale, so I am going to conclude that this story is NOT TRUE. My source must have had something confused.
    I did gain two things from this tale though. One is that I learned about an extreme catfish bait used on Wels Catfish and two, I have my 10 POSTS.

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    LOL, a whole chicken. Well all I have to say is, they better make rod holders to hold telephone poles. I can here the music from jaws. I have thru out some strange stuff, never a whole chicken, I might try a cat sometime!! LOL