97 Monte Carlo

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by CountryHart, Jul 28, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anybody got any ideas of what may be the problem? It will crank but dies. I replaced the fuel filter and the pump is pumping fuel. I'm not a mechanic and don't have a clue? Thanks

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    What size engine? Does it have a distributor or is it one of those distributorless ignitions? If a distributor, check the cap and rotor. If you know you have fuel the next step is to see if she's got fire. Pull the plugs make sure they look good. . Check the plug wires for visible damage. If you can find the specs, check the plug wires with an Ohmeter.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It has a 3100 or 3.1 liter. My neighbor "Catfish1" let me borrow the Mapf sensor off a wreck, no luck. We then tapped on the throttle body positioning sensor and got it to run. I've heard this piece required precise adjustment, does anybody know? Hopefully i can just unplug it and replace the thing. I've stabbed myself with a screw driver and threw a couple screamin fits already.:smile2:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I was working on it, I would put a fuel pressure guage on it and check fuel pressure. It has to be (don't quote me) at least 30 pounds. If your fuel pressure is good I'd check your injector harness with an ohmmeter. If it has a shorted injector it will do just that. start and run for about 2 seconds and die. each injector will test about 12.5 Ohms if you have one that tests lower than that it will shut down the injector driver in the p.c.m. (computer) A very common problem. I can give you more detailed info if you need it. (like a schematic and further instructions) Just p.m. me if you need any more help.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Reps to ya Mark:wink: Thanks, when i tapped on the idle control sensor it got to where it would run. I took it off and it was car boned up terrible. Napa is suppose to have me one in the morning. I do want to check the fuel pressure like you said( gauge screws on that air valve lookin piece) and also check the ohms on the injectors. I've learned something today:big_smile: Thanks again and if it don't run right, i'll PM ya.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Man you have to love the BOC and all the GREAT folk's on here who will offer there help and try to get you up and going again!!!! Rep's to you mark.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That was another suggestion I should have made. The injector fault stuck out in my mind first though. If there was a problem with the injector circuit, it would'nt run for crap. here's another suggestion. While you have the I.A.C. off (Idle air control) clean the bore, and the throttle body with some throttle plate cleaner too. the I.A.C.'s fail primarily because of carbon buildup. the throttle plate and body will have the same gunk on it.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I can't thank you enuff Mark. I'm on my way to the NAPA, i'll let ya know how it turns out. Reps to ya when i can again, thanks.