97' Johnson 30 hp help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ouachita, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    I ran my 1997 Johnson 30 hp in the lake last weekend for the first time in about 2+ years. It has been previously run in a barrel at home occasionally but only idling. It started fine at the lake and ran strong for about a minute. Then the rpms dropped and it would only run at idle speed. Initially I thought it was the fuel line. It had been kinked a little during storage. Changed it out and it did the same thing, ran good for a minute then powered itself down. I think there is a safety shutoff that limits the rpms if the motor starts to overheat. I was getting flow out of the pee hole and the motor didn't seem to be hot. I am going to go ahead and change the impeller as it hasn't been changed since I bought the motor 3-4 years ago. Maybe a stuck thermostat? Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be. Thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That old fuel line at 2 years old should have been replaced before trying to run that engine and I hope new fuel was put in the tank also. Did you try choking the engine or squeezing the primer bulb to get the rpm's bck up. This gives all indecations of a fouled carb or bad fuel pump.

3. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    The fuel was new and the fuel line bulb was still in good shape. I had also put seafoam in the tank with the new gas.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    those fuel lines will look good on the outside after setting a long time but the inside will peel apart like sunburned skin.