97 dodge ram

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by oh_darn, Apr 26, 2009.

1. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I got a 97 ram that doesnt start. When I turn the key, it does not click. The battery has enough juice, the battery connections to the starter are secure. My buddys dad said it was either the ignition fuse, or the ignition itself. Problem is, how the heck do I know if the fuse is bad?

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    do all of the accesories work ? and the fuel pump run?

3. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    :eek:oooh::0a18:I don't know if this will help but I have a 94 dodge dakota and when you turn the key over if you push in on the key when turning it over it will not start click or nothin just dead found out just grabbing it arond the plastic around the switch and turn but don't push in on the key when turning the switch over try that it might help maybe.

4. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Yeah, all the accessories work fine. The fuel pump works too.

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    sounds like either a bad connection or possibly the ign shitch or starter relay if that vehicle has one, ill try and look up a schematic tomorrow and let you know what i find, could be the starter also

6. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Thanks. I'm hoping its something cheap and easy to replace.

7. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Might try to turn the key and bump the gear shift lever a little bit or put the gear shift in neautral and try to start it. It could be the neautral safety switch or a problem with the shift linkage. If you're not hearing any clicking that makes me think it might be something in the switch or ignition. It could be the starter solenoid but you might still hear a click if it was. Pick you up one of those remote starter switches and try that. If it works, you know it's not a problem with the starter.

8. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Swap out the starter, i say this because i had that problem many times with mine, had a 97 2500 with a 360. Its probably the solenoid, just go get a new starter the solenoid is piggybacked on the starter itself, real simple to swap in only takes about 20min int he driveway.

9. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I already replaced the starter. That was the first thing I did. My buddys dad said it could be the ignition fuse. How do I tell if the fuse is bad?

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    could be what is called a fusable link which is really a fuse but looks just like a wire usually located in the wiring harness your gonna have to check out the wire harness real close a ohm meter could help or like centex said the neutral saftey switch automotive wiring is always fun lol good luck hope you find the problem

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Does it have an Automatic or manual transmission ?

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    The fuse related to that circuit will be fuse #2, in the Power Distribution Box, located under the hood. It will have a 40 amp rating. If that's OK, then in the same box, there will be several relays While looking @ the fuses etc., & the box latch is on your L.H. side, the relay you'll be concerned with will be on your lower L.H. side..

The good news, is that all those relays in that area are the SAME, so you can switch them out & see if it'll crank. I can help you a bit more once I know which tranny it's got.

HTH< Elliot

13. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    It's an automatic

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    OK, although there is a possibility of the neutral safety switch being @ fault, it isn't likely.

I did forget to ask you one thing that frequently causes these concerns, "Does It have a security system"?

15. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    If everything else has been checked, wiring, starter, relays, neutral safety switch, etc. Ignition switch could definitely cause it, also.

16. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Thanks everyone. I got it to start. It was the neutral safety switch. At least now I know my starter ain't gonna go out any time soon. Lol

17. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Glad you got it fixed.

18. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Glad you GOT-ER-DONE !!!!:wink: