97' 40hp Mercury elpt

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by lakeith, Jun 1, 2006.

1. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Ok, unlike Chief my motor is a 40hp. It ran fine a couple of wks ago,started 1st everytime and all. Took it to the river sun. and it wouldn't start for anything. I checked /charged the battery but didn't think that was the problem anyway. The starter sounds strong and the problem is it won't turn over. I changed the sparkplugs and still the same thing, it's like it won't spark or it's not getting any fuel. I have no experiencew/ engines and the boat only has 47hrs on it. The owners manual isn't all that detailed either.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bruce, you need to check to see if you have spark. Once your sure of spark or lack of it, get back to us.

3. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I'll see check that out tonight. Thanks for the prompt reply.

4. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I thought i would have checked out the spark on my boat by now but, it's kinda crazy around my house now. We are moving to our new house on sat. closing on thurs. and it's been raining around here alot. I currently don't have a garage but, will have one on fri. or sat. I'll get back to you guys then.

Thanks

5. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Haven't had much time for anything other than moving but, i had a friend come over when i was moving and the boat started up the 1st time. He shut it off and called me over and the thing wouldn't start again but, it did turn over and catch for a sec. We tried a few more times but, it just seemed to drain the battery out which shouldn't have happened as i had charged it and had only tried to start it about 8xs since. I gave up and took it to the shop/mecury dealer. I'll let you know the damage they inflict on my finances.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i recently purchased a boat that has a 1995 40hp mercury. It ran fine for a while and then we had a real hard time gettin it to start. put new plugs in it, made no difference. Then i ran across an article somewhere that was talking about the fuel that is now sold at gas stations, some of the additives that are now used wreak havoc with marine engines, i guess. According to the article, it was recommended to go out and buy some "Sta-bil" and add it according to the directions. We started usin it and our 40hp has been running great ever since. We got the Sta-bil at walmart for around $5 and it's good for several tanks of gas.

not sure if this may help you or not.

good luck

cyas
    rc