96model 70hp. johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Steven Armstrong, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    tilt and trim will lower but won`t raise, i think i can hear maybe something clicking when the button is operated, any ideas what the problem may be?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bad soleniod. Reverse the wires from the trim switch and see if the same problem exists, but is reversed. Failing that, it may simply be that your low on trim fluid. Think I'd check the fluid first, its easier. LOL

3. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    what type of fluid and how do i check it?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can get trim fluid at any marine store but a good grade trannie fluid will do the same. If you can hear a clicking I would suspect a solnoid problem.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Go with Bubba. He'll steer your right.

6. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    bubba i can hear the solnoid clicking. is the solnoid the little black square cubes above the shifting linkage? and how do i get them out?

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had something similar on my 1998, 60hp johnson. The solenoids was fine, however inside of the motor for the trim unit, there is a piece of bimetal on the contacts for the trim motor. This is there as a safety, in case it gets hot, or you ride the switches too much. anyway it had gotten rusty thru usual condensation, and had stuck shut. I took this to a electric motor guy, and he removed the bimetal, and told me to not keep the switches on to long against the stops, and heat them up. That was 3 years ago, I was out yesterday, and it's still working just fine. Hope this helps. Later Andy

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those are the ones they will cross over if you want to check and see which one is bad. Clean all the connections before saying that one is bad though because an eradic connection will act the same way. I would clean all connections real good before buying a new one.

9. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    where are the connections? and whats the best way to clean them?

10. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    it looks like we either flooded the carbs of a float may may have stuck sometime yesterday, i have a little gas underthe engine cover, how do i get to the connections and where and how do i remove the solnoids, also how to find which solnoid?

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The tilt/trim solenoild is normally fastened to the transom. From your tilt/trim motor you should have a heavy rubber/plastic encased wire. Follow this wire towards the battery. It should connect to the solenoid BEFORE it gets to the battery. Depending upon your boat, it can be a bear to get where you can see the solenoids, on others they are open and extremely easy to get to. The main thing is to just follow the wires from the motor. You'll find the solenoid.

12. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i got her fixed today! it turned out to be a relay on the up side, i went ahead and changed the lower out also , i figured its about due also. thanks for helping,i`m ready to fish this weekend!