96 model 70horse johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Steven Armstrong, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    at what rpm should a 70 horse johnson idle at? and how do we adjust the idle on this engine?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It should idle at about 6 to 8 hundred in the water and about 12 out with the muffs on. If the idle has just started giving you problems then I would look for the cause before idleing it up some more. I do know those engines had a heating problem and if its a new to you engine then I would do a compression check and if that is good then I would start with the fuel system and see why its idleng low.

3. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    it seems to have an high idle, we`ve had problem with it going into reverse, i ajusted it and out of the water it makes noise but will go into reverse now , we just thought it might be idled up too much

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do a good decarb on it and see if that will settle it down some and also what kind of plug are you running in it.

5. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i don`t know what you mean by decarb? could you go into more detail on this? we put three new plugs in it last fall , we got them at o`reilly`s, seem like they were ac`s

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That engine will only run right on champion plugs. You will have people tell you that is bunk but bleive me when I say this is a fact. I'll get you the right type of plug and post the decarb procedure this afternoon when I come in from work.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get you a bottle of sea foam or engine tuner. Sea foam is my choice. Put you a gal of fuel mix in a portable tank and mix about 3 or 4 oz of sea foam in it. Put the muffs on in the yard and run about 1/3 or 1/2 of mixture at idle and then remove plugs and squirt some inside plug holes while engine is warm and let it set foe an hour. Take it to the water and run it at wot for a few min and then let it cool for about fifteen min then put some more in the plug holes and run it for about 15 min at WOT.

Then go back to your regular mix and add about 2 oz of sea foam to the mix and run like you normally do. This should clean all the carbon out. After doing all this then change plugs. I would add 2 oz of sea foam every time I filled up the fuel. this is a good stabilizer and cleaner to.

If the plugs are a year old then go ahead and change them out after the decarb. If you run a gap type plug then gap them at 40 and it will make it burn better at low idle speed.

I would recommend a champion plug for that motor and use a QL77JC4 PLUG

8. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    bubbakat, i checked yesterday we did install champion plugs but the numbers are differn`t, so we will change those out and will see if our local parts house have seafoam. thank you :wink:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it has LV plugs in it it will use those to but it takes more fire to ignite them.