96 Lowe Roughneck Restore

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Todd Strong, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Start with I fish the mighty MO and run this boat for two years as a center console, wanted a change but didn't want change boats. Layed out a floor plan on paint and started the tear down last weekend. forgot to take before pics but I'am sure you can figure to out. Plans center console to dual console. move the console's up 17 inches, live well upgrade to 60 gallon and ad more storage. I'll keep the pics coming as I go. going to have to resize my pics to post, Have work on them tomorrow.

2. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Forgot to post the floor plan pic.

Attached Files:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Todd, that'll be sweet when you get it done! Looking forward to the pix. Good Luck~

Branden

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Looking forward to your updates on this project. The lay out in paint looks like a good one for the river.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

5. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Console cut from live well and fitted. still have to add metal to front of console for reinforcement.

Attached Files:

6. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    By moving the console to the side and forward, I gained 17" of space in the rear of the boat. Will be working on building the left side console this evening. Once it's in place can figure if I want to keep the existing live well and ad on an secound in the front of it, or pull it and just have one.

Attached Files:

7. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's a nice rig. I like the setup you're going with. Wish my boat was big enough to do that.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Sweet Todd!! Did you make the console or Buy one ready made? You do Super work Sir. Thank's for the Post.J.D.

9. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    The console is the original center console I just modified it.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I personaly like center console, how come you changed to side ?

11. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

Pat, I like the center also, but I do a lot of deer hunting north of here on the missouri and with 2 people the dual sides with large windsheilds will be nice when it's below the 30's.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is that a Model 1960 Roughneck?? It looks just like mine did.

13. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Here is my thoughts , the live well on this boat is attached to the bottom of the boat. It pumps and drains through the bottom. What do you guys think about putting the secound live well in front of the original. run a valve from pump so you have the option of running the small well or both. Then comes the draining problem ? how about running 2 4" tubes with shut offs between the two. I posted a layout of my Idea. Lets see what your thoughts are.

Attached Files:

14. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Yes it is Jim, It originally had a 115 jet drive, and I put an evinrude 140 and used the 80hp top.

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wish mine had a larger live-well. I extended my front deck, made a back deck, added a 3000 watt gen and 7 quartz lights, 90 Merc + 9.9 Mariner + Electric Merc trolling motor. It does what I want.

I have had to go back to camp a lot of times when the live-well was full of fish, and we returned to put fish in cages and go back out.

I have a 160 quart Igloo that I have been thinking of using for an added live-well, when I need it. I have some real heavy plastic bushel baskets I have thought of using as a floating cage when running jugs. Then bring back in boat when heading back to camp.

I'm going to watch and see what yours looks like when your done. Maybe I'll add to my permanent live well size. I'll see what yours looks like.

Have fun re-doing your boat. I need to finish up changes I was doing to mine. I get kinda lazy with all the snow we have had. I just can't get my mind thinking spring and fishing, when every time I turn around we get more snow. I woke up Wednesday morning to 18 more inches of lake affect snow.

:big_smile::tounge_out::big_smile:

16. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How many feet is that boat?

17. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

18. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    good looking work Todd thanks for sharing

19. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looks realy neat,Great job.

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Looking good, man! I sure wish you would have started this earlier - I've probably got 20 hours in converting my side console to center - we could have both saved some time with a trade:smile2: