96 lb blue catfish video

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bowler man, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc
    this is a great example of CVR GREAT JOB CAPTAIN:big_smile:

[youtubevid]3LXkaGJ4OJM[/youtubevid]

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Awesome video! 5 stars!!!!!

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Awesome fish!!!!!!!!!!!! Great to see it released.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

5. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Love to see them big-uns get released back into their own water.

6. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I missed the DNR guys weight on the fish did it get mentioned? It certainly is a whopper at 54 1/2 inches long (stated in vid)

I have concerns that fish may not live see its EYE in the vid and that it never went down under in vid stayed on top....hope she made it.

Curt

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I emailed Jim, who weighed and measured the fish:
    As for the fish appearing to stay on the surface, keep in mind that the fish was released at the Bonneau Beach boat ramp, very shallow water, which made for great video. It was caught in only 29' of water, so probably did not need burping, or Jim would surely have done so himself, since he is an accomplished guide himself, in addition to his duties with the SCDNR. This should clear up a couple of things, which I was also wondering about. :big_smile:

8. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    now that was a cat! Sure would be nice to land one like that at wateree today!!

9. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have to agree with curt. That fish was out of the water for to long of a time. It looks as if every ounce of slime was wiped off of her body along the way. So even if she was able to recover from the out of water experience she is now likely prone to infection and disease. I hope this is not the case because this is one beautiful fish and I am not sure that there are a whole lot more of them in Santee. This is just my opinion, one that has been formed from seeing thousands of fish weighed in and handled at tournements from SC to Kansas. Upon returning to the water the next day and seeing all of the floaters washed up on shore. I always use a rubber coated net (less damage and slime loss) never bear hug em, never pick em up by the fins, don't let em lie on the bottom of the boat, take a pic and then let em go in less than five minutes. If I am in a tourney, I put them in a 180 gallon live well with recirculating water, oxygen and bubbles. Even doing this, the stress alone is enough to kill them. Here's hoping she is still swimming fat and happy.

10. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice cat! I am also concearned for the health of the fish as it sluggishly swam away on the top of the water. Hope she's OK.:big_smile:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am much happier to see that fish swim off than I would to see it laying in the bed of a pick-up truck or in someones cooler. :eek:oooh:

I am no scientist, but I will bet the odds are better for survival swimming in the water than being stuck with a fillet knife! :tounge_out:

Great job Captain Daryll on getting that fish weighed, recorded and back in the water ALIVE!!

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read an article once that just because they swim off doesnt mean they live. They swim off and find a place to settlement on the bottom and lay there and die. It was called post release mortam or something like that. hope it doesnt happen to that one cause it was a real brute.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That fish concerned me, too, but I know that both Daryl Smith and Jim Glenn are professionals who know how to treat and release a fish, so my thinking is that the odds are much better than if it had been caught by a less experienced crew. Remember, the weather was cold and windy that day, water temps were pretty low, and a catfish can last much longer in those conditions without permanent harm than when the weather is milder. I kept two in my empty cooler yesterday for well over an hour, intending to take them home for a cookout, and the fish were still very much alive when I instead passed them off to a very appreciative young couple that was bank fishing.
    You're right, though, Ronald. I've seen a lot of floaters on the lakes, mostly during the summer, both catfish and stripers, that were most likely released with good intentions, but didn't make it.:big_smile:

14. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Awsome insight there. I agree that it is great that the fish was let go ALIVE but don't you think that we owe it to the fish to do all that we can to make sure it survives. 1oz of prevention goes along way to a cure.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Remember, the weather was cold and windy that day, water temps were pretty low, and a catfish can last much longer in those conditions without permanent harm than when the weather is milder.>

I think that is the key to this particular fish's survival. Most likely OK!

Bill in SC

16. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    In all actuality this fish should have been kept and filets. Now WHY would you hear that from me?

Because it is at the end of the spectrum on size.

Females between 40-80 lbs should be released to lay hundreds of thousands of eggs that are LARGER and more likely to survive than smaller fish.

I am a proponent of release everything above 30 inches and except the extreme end which this fish clearly was.

I doubt this fish lives today and I hate to see waste. Eating this fish would have been a better end for her. Slim gone and slow swim rate at the surface very doubful this fish lived.

If we all released fish over 30 and only kept those that where gut hooked of at the extreme end we would keep a very good population of BIG spawner&#8217;s. Its not just the number of eggs they produce its the size of the eggs and the fry have a much better rate of survival

Once you have a trophy release the rest as soon as possible BOAT SIDE. I relased my biggest blue 72# Blue. I was happy to do so and only had a crappy camera phone but I weighted her and released her knowing SHE is alive.

17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Well I guess my question is,was it worth it? Did it set any line class records? I know it made a good T.V show. I myself would have done the same as trying to get DNR to validate the fish. I see where there was alot of time wasted in getting the fish validated and back to the water. I saw it swim off also,weak, to say the least. I hope the fish made it. I may never catch a fish that size, but I'd like to think I'm prepared if I do.WHAT A HAWG THOUGH!!!!.Keep us posted Tommy,Please

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Nice Video. Glad to see that C.P.R. was practiced instead of that huge fish ending up in some aquarium.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    2 of the best freshwater biologist in the state, 1 of which is a very accomplished catfish/striper guide on Moultrie, who do catfish reasearch all of the time where right there measure and weigh the fish so it could be released in a timelly manner. Cgoyette how do you know that a fish over 80lbs will not make it and a 72lb fish will that is the most ignorant statement I hve ever read. That 96lb blue very well could have been younger than your 72lb blue and healthier. I think that fish swam off just fine and has a 100&#37; better chance of living now than it did with a fillet knife. I fish Moultrie on a regular basis and am grateful to Darryl for releasing that fish for others to have a chance to CPR another day.

20. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    What!!!!:eek:oooh: