96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Cathunter Pete, May 5, 2009.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I was hoping for some help regarding my truck. I'm thinking it may be a fuel pump going bad but not sure. I filled my truck up two weeks ago with gas from a different station than normal. Later that evening when driving the RPM gauge started to hesitate and it acted like it wasn't getting enough gas, I heard a knocking noise with the hesitations as well. When it does this it lasts for a few seconds and doesn't want to accelerate. When I came to a complete stop at a light the RPM's dropped like the truck was stalling, then the RPM's shot back up to about 2000 then idled normal. My truck has been doing this off and on since then, however my check engine light hasn't come on yet. I'm thinking maybe a fuel pump, fuel filter, problem? About a month ago I had the plugs and wires replaced. I put fuel additive in the gas as well and that hasn't made any difference. Any help or advice would be great! I just want to have an idea as I'm not a mechanic and don't want to take one from the local garages who are prone to sticking it you in Fayetteville. Thanks to all.

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    my rangers doin this rite now to. i believe its my fuel filter thats clogged up though. if i were you id put a new fuel filter on it just for some insurance and see if that works. also maybe try to run some seafoam cleaner or some other sort of fuel injector cleaner through it. you might have a clogged injector. hope this helps.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I would hold off on the SeaFoam since it is a V8 and the guys at Seafoam state not to use in in V8's. Don't know why I called them and they told me not to use it but they would not give me a real reason as to why just not to do it.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    A lot of your symptoms could also be plugged catalytic converter too. Fuel filters are cheap, change it first if it has onem, it probly needs it anyways (ethanol cleaning junk out of tank).

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I know rams had some problems with the TPS causing those kind of problems, without tests its hard to tell. Does it do it more hot, less? could be any of the mentioned problems, but without testing fuel preasure, TPS resistance curves, etc. could be hard to tell. Good luck, PM me if you have any test specific questions.

6. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    It doesn't matter whether the truck motor is hot or cold it does it when it's cold and hot. I ran some of the Star Tron treatment through it and it hasn't helped. I had the catalytic converter replaced a few years ago and have only put probally 25K on it with since the new catalytic converter. It just seems weird that once I got gas from a different station it started to act up. I'll replace the fuel filter tomorrow, and try that. How hard are they to replace, I've never replaced one before, as I'm not that mechanically inclined. I can do brakes, and oil. Thanks for all the input it's greatly appreciated. :big_smile:

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if youcan do brakes you can do a fuel filter. its attaced to your frame by a bolt. it will leak gas out when you undo the little clips, unbolt it first and then take the clips off and put your new one on. make sure its nice and clean around your hoses, if a piece of dirt gets in a fuel line you could be in some real trouble. anyway try it and let me know. and sorry i was wrong on the seafoam thing. its new to me so i just through it out there

8. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    hey thanks for the advice:big_smile: I just got a hold of a mechanic I know and he said it sounds to him like an injector is really dirty, or idler arm sensor or other sensor is dirty. I'm going to do the fuel filter in the am and I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks again! Pete

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The fuel filter in that Ram may be more than you bargained for. The one on my 98 Ram is in the tank, if you are going that far, might as well change out the whole pump/filter assembly. Good luck.

10. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wabash River bear is right but there were a few that came with the external fuel filter I see vehicles day in and day out as I work in the lube center at big o tires

11. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Yeah I just figured that out after doing some research the filter is a part of the fuel pump assembly and is in the tank. Hopefully this mechanic who thinks it may be a sensor or injectors dirty is correct. As I don't have the time or the money really to replace a fuel pump assembly. Plus next weekend the truck needs to be up and running for a cat tourney. Thanks:smile2:

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Have you checked the gas station to make sure the gas wasn't E-85 ?

13. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I haven't gotten back that way across town to see if it's E-85. Would that cause the issues I'm having in your opinion?

14. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    e-85 will ruin injectors