96' 75hp force low idle?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by okiekrawler, Feb 11, 2007.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i just got this motor and run really well. the only problem is that it wants to die after it is at low idle for a minute or two. is this an adjustment issue or do i have some other problem?

2. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sit there and listen while it's idling and when you hear it about ready to die pump the bulb and see if it picks back up again ... if it does you have maybe a weak fuel pump or getting a little air in the line that is allowing the carb to run out of fuel while it's idling ... check all your hose fittings and make sure they're not leaking .. if they are then replace them or tighten the hose clamp or you may need to replace the bulb ... if you see any fuel leaking then that's the problem. normally if it's an adjustment problem it'll do it all the time. if it's wanting to die after it's been idling for several minutes or so then I think it'd be a leak ... it may run good at high speed because maybe the leak isn't severe enough to keep it from pumping up when the pump is working harder or faster. if you have no leaks then maybe the idle screw needs to be backed out just bit ... the idle and high speed jet should be marked on it ... low speed adjustment and high speed adjustment screws

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    What other maintenance has this engine had in the past few months?

Tiny gave you some good info.

4. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    none that i am aware of. i believe the motor had set for a good while before i got it.

5. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you haven't got one, get you one of those water ears that you can fasten a garden hose to and then put on your motor'swater inlet so you can run your motor at home and tinker with it ... you can also get a barrel and put under it and fill the barrel full of water and run it that way ... that'd be quieter. if you find that it does pick back up when you pump the bulb when it's idling or you can sit there and pump the bulb while it's idling for several minutes and if it doesn't die out when you're pumping the bulb then you've got something that's not getting the fuel to the carb ... it also wouldn't hurt anything to run some seafoam through it as that'll clean the gunk out of the motor from years of use. I'm not saying that's a cure or anything but it may be a good idea as it'll clean the built-up residue off most anything it comes in contact with. it may even clean the carbs out some if it's had some fuel evaporate in the bowls it may have some build-up in them. but be sure to do the bulb pumping thing .. and if it doesn't die with you doin that then you've got a small leak in the hose of your screen/filter may be plugged a little or the fuel pump may be a little. weak ... might just go out and run a few tanks of fuel through it with seafoam in them too and see if that helps any. I put a can of seafoam in my boat tank along with a full dose of stabil when I quit fishing ... I went out and put the ears on it a few days ago and pumped the bulb up and it fired right off and ran great.

6. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you know what ... I just realized I was steppin on a toe here on this section ... I just noticed after posting that last reply that this was a specific area for Bob to answer folk's questions but motors n stuff ... Sorry Bob ... I'll pay more attention to where I'm clickin on in the future ... I tried to remove the post but it said something about you have to edit within 5 minutes of posting or something like that.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If it sat for a few months, the Seafoam might work. I'd think it's the idle circuit in the carb, that's a bit clogged up.

If it were mine, I'd get the carb cleaned to be sure and a continued use of a stabilizer and a product like Seafoam would be a regular treatment to the gas.

Tiny, when I see good information like yours, I just let it go on. If I see a need to add someting, I will. You'll see Bubba get in here also. He's a Bikini Waxer in training:big_smile:

There are times when I do.

8. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i actually put the cups on the motor and ran it last night. it seemed to spit and sputter a little when i first started it but i think it was just cold. after a few minutes i let it idle and it seemed to do okay. hopefully it will be nice this weekend andi can put some seafoam in it and run it a while. thanks for the help guys. i will let you know how it turns out.

9. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Where can you find SeaFoam? I checked at Advance Auto parts and WalMart. Would Bass Pro have it? Thanks.

10. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    ok,so i ran my motor yesterday and it did okay except for the fact the it would idle a while and the spit back and die. unless when i put it in nuetral i would pull up the fast idle lever just a little. also when i shut it off to fish a spot for about a half hour, when i would start it back it was hard to start. are these problem related to one thing or do i have two seperate problems.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It still sounds like a lean condition at idle.

Have you tried the bulb pumping technique, or a very quick choke when it's about to die?