95 Johnson Sputter-Stutters

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by WhiskerfishLou, May 7, 2006.

1. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    I've got a '95 - 30 hp Johnson that seems to sputter heavily from 1,000 - 1,500 and from 2,500 to 2,800 rpm. It will also sputter occasionally at any other speed but comes and goes... nothing consistant at any given speed other than what's been mentioned. I've checked fuel line connections, tank, spark plug wires, all electrical connections (cleaned and securely reattached), carburetor body gaskets. I've also cleaned the screen in the fuel pump and inspected the o-rings. I've recently had a "shop tune up" and the problem seemed to increase. They said everything appeared to run correctly when I informed them of this problem. They checked it again and "found nothing out of factory settings". Idles nicely and top ends around 4800. I believe it is something in the electrical system... somewhere. I went ahead and bought a Clymer shop manual recently and vow to either use my own tools or borrow the correct ones to do my own work. The shop manual doesn't describe my engine symptoms, but just tells me how to take everything apart and put it back together, so I'm at a loss and at square one. Open to suggestions.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Try cleaning out your gas tank and flushing the lines before hooking up to your carb.

What did the shop tune up consist of?

3. WhiskerfishLou

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Thanks for the good reply. The tank was cleaned and an inline filter installed when it was in the shop.
    The tune up included check timing, fuel mixture,clean carb, change plugs, check rpm, lower unit fluid change, inspect impeller/related seals. Adjust shift linkage, inspect cylinder interiors, compression, adjust idle, charging system. Could ignition coils be starting to go? The sputtering is most noticable between 1000 and 1500, then between 2500 and 2800 rpm. It also sputters in between occasionally, but really annoying and noticable with the rpm's mentioned. Could there be something with a spark advance setting... if there is one? When it sputters, it almost sounds like it's a lean fuel mixture. But with the new filter and a cleaned out tank, your suggestion for that seems to have been dealt with.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    With all that done, it should run like a new engine.

Offer to take someone from the shop on a water test to duplicate the problem they were paid to fix. It could be they might have the solution.

5. WhiskerfishLou

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Thanks again... They are going to order me a new fuel pump on the house. They're a personal sponsor for me and are working things out for either free labor, parts or both. In this case both. I'll let ya know what they figure out with it. Thanks again for all your help.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A fuel pump was the only other thing I could think of that wasn't looked into, but I've not seen those symptoms from a fuel pump.