'95 Johnson - 30 hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by WhiskerfishLou, Oct 31, 2006.

1. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    I have a frustrating problem. Everytime I begin a new trip on the water, the engine takes for ever to get started. I have plenty of battery, but the starter will not rotate or engage, just like it is working with a low battery. Repeated key turns occasionally gets the starter to engage, but the starter quickly kicks out and stops. Eventually, I assume once the system gets warm from the repeated attempts, the starter stays engaged, then it takes a few attempts to get the motor to fire. Once the motor comes to operating temps. I can shut the engine off and up to a half hour-45 min later, it starts like a new motor. This scenario gets worse with cooler temps. I do have a shop manual for the motor, but not sure which component or combinations of components to deal with. I know that there can be a domino effect in any mechanical or electrical system. Open to suggestions.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The first thing I'd do is visually check all the wiring from the battery to the starter, positive and negative wiring. Check voltage at the starter solinoid and voltage drop when you hit the key.

Be sure all wiring is clean and tightly connected.

3. WhiskerfishLou

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Ok, I checked connections, visually and mechanically. That turned out ok. No voltage drops when the starter turns. Seems like sometimes the starter jumps into position, then doesn't turn. It stays in position, but doesn't drop down. This action is irratic. Voltage and Amps OK to starter. Sometimes starter jumps and begins to crank motor, then drops off without turning key away from the start position. New starter time?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When the starter engages does it just sit there or does it hum or buzz. but doesn't turn.

5. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
  6. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    Hi big guy I had the same problem wih the same motor. Disconect the spark plug wires and tap the starter till it hangs up in the flywheel then put some light oil under on the shaft that should fix your problem.

7. WhiskerfishLou

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Just sits there sometimes or drops back into starter, never buzzes or hums. Solenoid activates though.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take that starter off and take it to an auto starter rebuild shop and have them rebuild It. Sounds like the fields are going to ground.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    In the heavy truck field, we would say you're starter is "dragging". I've seen them just plain spin too slow also even when voltage and connections are tight. You are in need of a starter rebuild.