94 erude 112hp still dying at WOT I give up...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Sep 20, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I simply do not know what to do any more, this thing still shuts rights down after going at WOT for more than 20 seconds. Everything has checked out, compression was good, spark was good, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, replacing fuel lines, replaced bulb and filter, new spark plugs. What the heck else could it be guys, this is getting to the point where its becoming to frustrating to even deal with anymore....................:mad: When I mean shut down I mean comes to a stop, and dies. There is still fuel inside the glass in-line filter everytime, why is this engine doing this?

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    could be electrical check the key switch and safety switch or does it bog down before it dies

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes it bogs down before it dies

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How about a bad coil or power pack? They have been known to do funny things when they get heated up.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I ran a check on the coils today, or atleast a resisitance test according to the manual, and they passed. Given now that these were the ignition coils not the charge coils. I dont thingk I have the right equipment to test the ignition coils and the power pack, all I have is a fluke meter. But it seems if that is the problem then this engine must heat up quickly, because I can put her in the water off the trailer, head up river and the thing already acts up???:sad2:

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    tbull,
    You sure get an A for effort on this one.

??? what is the recycle time on this problem ?..
    As in, after you fire it, leap up on plane at WOT for 20 sec and she acts up.....

How long till you can do it again? What do you have to do to get it going again.

If you break plane and throttle way back till it "Just" stays on plane. how long will it run .. as in compaired to the WOT . session.

It's interesting. Lets not give up on her yet.

rg

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It does it like clockwork, I almost have to shut the engine down (if it hasn't already), restart it, and eventually it will take off again for 20 seconds or so and bogs out like its running out of gas. If I run it at low RPM's say below 15mph or so it will continue to run. Maybe an ignition problem? Leaning towards power pack, but I just don't have the money to throw any more parts at this thing unless I am 100% sure, and taking it somewhere I know is gonna cost me even more. It is also very hard to start after this happens, the boat runs fine as long as your not going over 15 or so????????????:sad2:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Do you have an anti-siphon valve on your fuel tank?

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No, there is no valve, I pulled the tube and there was only a screen. I even removed the screen and no change. I already have an inline glass filter and I am not seeing any debris at all, and seems to have plenty of gas going through the line. My question is this, could a power pack cause these symptoms? Maybe once the engine gets to a high RPM the pack cannot supply enough juice to provide adequate spark??

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I seems as though it would more be a breakdown in the coils. Don't happen until they get hot... they cool off and it will run again... get hot and it will stop. I have had a similar problem on my little 50 HP running for just a few minutes and then shut down... gave me a bunch of grey hairs before we figgured out the little rubber tip on the needle valve was swollen and the float would stay in the up position. The bowl would fill with fuel, it would run until the bowls were empty and then you set there. I imagine it will not be a difficult problem to fix, once you identify the source. LOL

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I ran the resistance and secondary resistance test on the coils yesterday and they passed. Given that they were at room temperature which is what the manual says, doesn't make sense to me though most electrical components are gonna test fine when they are cold...Is there any kind of test you can do on the coils other than the resistance? I have heard of people heating them up with a blow dryer, or maybe running them on muffs? Still I cant achieve the rpm's needed to make the problem rare its ugly head on muffs. So should I be leaning toward the ignition coils or the powerpack?

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cant be the needle already just rebuilt those stupid carbs.

13. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I hate to share this with ya, but my 25 Johnson Acted exactly as yours does. To the letter.

I gave up and took mine to the shop after I had done everything I was comfy with ,just as you have. Couldn't return the elec parts if it didn't fix the problem and They just charged me 1 hours labor plus the tank time
    I believe the componet we got was from Sierra and quite a bit less expensive than original equipement OMC. Their Number sub off of OMC numbers.

140.00 later, I was glad I did. I don't think the thing has run that well for years. prior to replacing it would take fits . run rough, foul a plug now and then and get picky about its starting routine at times.. and at the end just as yours.. just lay down at speed. All those things just aren't normal for one of those motors.

Ya sure can't replace a motor like that for what you can fix it. Now the tough part.. writing the check.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have a test that I think will let me know something, just dont know if it will work at low idle speed which is what it will have to be hooked up to muffs. I wonder if I fire it up on the muffs, and heat up that pack with a blow dryer if it will fail? Seems to me that if I do, and the engine acts up like normal, I have found my problem. Ever done a test like that?

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    How about the tank vent??????

That would cause your exact problem. If not enough air can get into the tank a vacuum will be created and you cannot pull the gas fast enough to supply the needs of the engine at WOT. Your filter bulb would not neccessarily run out of gas either.

Try taking the gas cap off and running it at WOT!

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Already tried that, I have removed the cap while running, even re-did all of the lines for the vent and no change..

17. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i know what it is

18. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    where the fuel pump goesit runs on vacum it is stoped up i think is what was wrong with my 88 wouldnt let the fuel pump open up right you should have a slight miss on upper left cyl while at idol

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just replaced the lines again from the fuel hookup to the fuel pump, and from the pump to the carbs. I had it at idle in a barrel of water, had 4 spark testers hooked up, one to each cylinder. Had spark on all four, even heated up the pack with a blow dryer no change, also replaced the vent line again with some thicker hose. Won't know until this weekend when I take it for a test run. Maybe the lines solved the problem? who knows, will have no poles and a boat full of tools this weekend gotta get this thing running right.

20. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ill check when i get home doesnt the back of fuel pump have a whole in the back with a gasket or oil ring where it bolts to motor