94' 40hp evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by lforet2002, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Motor has been laid up for 3 years.Got it to start and run.Would not stay running in neutral.I'm rebuilding the carbs and water pump.My problem is I tried starting it up again and it barely would turn.Took the plugs out and it spun like nothings wrong put the plugs back in and it barely wants to spin.Any ideas??Has a brand spanking new battery so it can't be that..

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take your ground connections and positive connections loose all the way to the starter and clean them good with a file or sand paper. If that doesn't do it then I would say the starter is in need of repair and any auto starter repair shop can rebuild it or test it for you.

3. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Mr. King for your helpfull advice..Now I have a place to start to locate the problem..I had no idea what it coulda been.I'll probably end up bringing it to the outboard mechanic to give it a good once over and make sure everythings straight..I've done the carbs before and the water pump so I'm gonna work on those this weekend..Thanks again Mr. King..

4. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Got the carbs rebuilt and new water pump and starter and battery cables and all kinds of stuff..My problem is I can't get my motor to start without spraying the carbs with starter fluid and will not idle without dying..Could it need an adjustment on the carbs??I have the book and all for the motor but it might as well be written in chinese cause I just can't get it..

5. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    it sounds like your choke is not working ,if your motor is a 1994 it probably has a enrichment system instead of a choke.its a small round black looking thing that has a small red piece to it,and two very small fuel lines,one going to each carb.they make a kit for it,its just a small diaphram and a spring.it's basically a small fuel pump.when u push in the key switch,itputs a shot of gas into the carb instead of closing flaps on the carbs.sometimes these get stopped up just like the carbs after setting for a while.some times u can turn the little red switch on the side back and fourth and it will start working.hope this helps.get it starting,and then you can work on the idleing .if you did'nt soak those carbs in carb cleaner over night,and blow them out with compressed air,the idle circuits are probably still clogged.hope this helps.

6. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I think your right..I played with it a bit and found that lil choke thingy you was telling me about..Got it going and it fires right up now..Thanks a mill Larry