93 Z71

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by skawez, Feb 12, 2008.

1. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    well i decided to get a 4x4 got a 93 Z71 ext cab short box nice truck 201 thousand on it tho. took it thru all the buying steps everything worked just needed a window motor... no rust no tears no dents or dings good tires 4x4 works shifts good dont smoke no noises. ... thought all was good bought the truck.. drove around town for a day no problems... went out of town on the hiway35 miles and on the way back.. tick tick tick .. by the time i got home it was more of a clack then a tick. well is it a lifter? or a rocker? to far down..so here i sit 3 days later with a thrown rod!... anyone know where i can find a used 350 with not that many miles on it? or a good place to buy a reman. long block?

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    First let me welcome you to the BOC. Sorry about the bad luck with the truck, that a hard one to take. Good luck finding another motor. rspd507

3. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well start calling all the local scrap yards, you can swap in an 350 you want, just depends on if you feel like swapping out wiring harnesses or not. Search all the old cameros, trans am's, 1500 silverados, k1500, k2500's, Blazers, K5's not only search for 350's but maybe a 400 small block or a 327 as well. If you wanna go the remaned crate way, look up on JEGS, Summit Racing, Gm Performance, Jasper Engines, places like that should be able to easly get you a crate turnkey motor for under 4 k with a warrenty and shipping.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    sometimes it is alot cheaper to get a crate motor thru ur local autoparts store (NAPA, O'Reileys, Schuck's) That way u get a good new (rebuild) motor and some LOCAL warranty

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    if you go reman just think on this 1 pay a little extra for a .20 .30 over bore block not a 40 or 60 cylinder walls become thin .2 pay extra for a standard crankshaft no more that a .10 rods .10 mains. not grumpy jenkins but i know a little anything i can do to help ill be glad to tell you what i can .

6. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    it makes sense to me.. i didnt think of that.. dont really want to crack anything in the next motor now do i. thank you

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    that is what we are here for you are welcome .if i was closer id be glad to build it up for you .

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    a zz383 gm crate engine
    If you put a zz 383 crate engine in it youll love it, 400 hp / 425 fpt.

I think they run about 3500.00 you will not be sad when you put that in a z 71, big block power in a small block.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    [​IMG]
    Part #:12499101

Price:$4,491

[​IMG]
    Installation Notes

• NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long blocks and partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur. We recommend HEI distributor P/N 93448806.
    • Requires addition of carburetor, ignition and starter (not included).
    • Rochester Quadrajet or Holley 750-cfm carburetor recommended.
    • Comes with 12.75" automatic transmission flexplate. Requires externally balanced flywheel for manual transmission.
    • Has right-side oil dipstick.
    • Intended for pre-1977 street vehicles and all off-road vehicles.
    HT383 - A big-inch small-block tuned for torque!

There comes a time when you may not just want more power, you may need more power. Times like when you are towing your show car or bass boat with that 1970s-and-earlier GM truck, and it just doesn’t have the low-end grunt that you need to flatten hills or make a safe pass. For those times, our engineers designed the HT (high torque) 383 with lots of cubic inches and other components to enhance the low-rpm power that you need.
    The GM Performance Parts HT383 has been specifically engineered for low-rpm torque, and it’s packed with durable parts that are all brand new. It produces 435 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm, but more importantly, it produces more than 400 lb.-ft. of weight-moving torque from 2500 rpm all the way up to its 4000 rpm peak. In other words, your trailer’s worth of weekend fun is barely noticeable when hooked to a vehicle equipped with the HT383.
    The bottom end has a 383 stroker forged steel crankshaft, heavy-duty rods, and hypereutectic pistons. The block is cast iron with 4-bolt main caps, and it’s up to the task of making lots of power for years to come.
    The brand new HT383 makes a great alternative to salvage and rebuilt engines. Once installed, the HT383 makes it possible to look forward to that big hill or long haul. Don’t just drive to your favorite fishing hole—be the first one there!
    Possible Applications

• Your hot rod truck
    • Your hot rod station wagon
    • Your heavy project car
    • Anything that requires big-block torque in a small-block package
    *Applications have not been validated. They are merely suggestions of how you might enjoy your GM Performance Parts crate engine. Some applications may affect engine warranty. See specific warranty information. Some applications may not be emission legal; check state and local ordinances.

HT383 TECH SPECS:part Number: 12499101Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8Displacement (cu in): 383Bore x stroke (in): 4.00 x 3.80Block (P/N 88962516): Cast iron with 4-bolt main capsCrankshaft (P/N 12489436): Forged steelConnecting rods (P/N 12497624): Heavy-duty PM steelPistons (P/N 12499103):Hypereutectic aluminumCamshaft type (P/N 14097395): Hydraulic rollerCamshaft lift (in): .431 intake / .451 exhaustCamshaft duration (@.050 in): 196'c1 intake / 206'c1 exhaustCylinder heads (P/N 12558060): Vortec iron; 64cc chambersValve size (in): 1.94 intake / 1.50 exhaustCompression ratio: 9.1:1Rocker arms (P/N 10089648): Stamped steelRocker arm ratio: 1.5:1Water pump (P/N 88894341): Cast ironRecommended fuel: 87 octaneIgnition timing: 32'c1 total @ 4000 rpm with vacuum advance disconnectedMaximum rpm: 5000
    :big_smile:

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    [​IMG]
    Part #:12498772

Price:$5,300

[​IMG]
    Installation Notes

• NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long blocks and partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur. We recommend HEI distributor P/N 93440806.
    • Requires addition of carburetor, ignition, intake manifold, fuel
      pump, water pump and starter (not included).
    • 425-horsepower rating achieved during GM testing with high-rise single-plane intake manifold P/N 12496822 and a 750-cfm Demon carburetor with vacuum secondaries.
    • GMPP dual-plane intake manifold P/N 12366573 may be used to avoid hood clearance problems, but peak power may decrease by approximately 15-20 horsepower.
    • Comes with 12.75" automatic transmission flexplate. Requires 1986-1999 350-style externally balanced flywheel for manual transmission. See chart on page 171.
    • Intended for pre-1977 street vehicles and all off-road vehicles.
    ZZ383 - Big-block-style power from a small-block engine!

If you’re looking for a small-block Chevy that makes big-block power, we’ve got the engine for you! For the ultimate GM Performance Parts small-block crate engine, choose the ZZ383—a combination of Fast Burn aluminum performance heads and a 383" stroker small-block that can add up to 425 horsepower and 449 lb.-ft. of torque.
    A carefully engineered balance of torque-producing bottom-end power and horsepower-inducing Fast Burn cylinder heads combine for the ZZ383/425’s stellar performance statistics. The Fast Burn heads have large 2.00"/1.55" valves
    and specially designed chambers that draw in lots of air and fuel, burning the mixture quickly and completely. It’s a combination that generates great mid- and high-rpm power, which, when combined with the 383 cubic inch displacement, creates an awesome all-around performer.
    The ZZ383 has a specially modified engine block and 3.80"-stroke crankshaft, which produce 383 cubic inches of pure performance. The reciprocating assembly is comprised of heavy-duty components including a 4340, nitrided, and inductionhardened forged crankshaft, and unique, heavy-duty powdered metal rods. It’s 425 horses of bulletproof performance.
    With the ZZ383/425, you get the power of a big-block with the size and weight of an aluminum-headed small-block. If you’ve never driven a car with a stroked small-block and the top end components to support it, now is your chance!
    Possible Applications

• The perfect small-block for your ‘55-57 shoebox
    • An 11-second starting point for your street/strip car
    • A street car that deserves big power
    • A weekend race car that sees a lot of action
    *Applications have not been validated. They are merely suggestions of how you might enjoy your GM Performance Parts crate engine. Some applications may affect engine warranty. See specific warranty information. Some applications may not be emission legal; check state and local ordinances.

ZZ383/425 TECH SPECS:part Number: 12498772Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8Displacement (cu in): 383Bore x stroke (in):4.00 x 3.80Block (P/N 88962516): Cast iron with 4-bolt main capsCrankshaft (P/N 12489436): Forged steelConnecting rods (P/N 12497624): Heavy-duty PM steelPistons (P/N 12499103): Hypereutectic aluminumCamshaft type (P/N 12370846): Hydraulic rollerCamshaft lift (in): .509 intake / .528 exhaustCamshaft duration (@.050 in): 222'c1 intake / 230'c1 exhaustCylinder heads (P/N 12464298): Fast Burn aluminum; 62cc chambersValve size (in): 2.00 intake / 1.55 exhaustCompression ratio: 9.6:1Rocker arms (P/N 12367345): Aluminum roller styleRocker arm ratio: 1.5:1Recommended fuel: 92 octaneIgnition timing: 32'c1 total @ 3000 rpm with vacuum advance disconnectedMaximum rpm:6000
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Fast Burn 385 Turn-Key - Hot aluminum heads collaborate with a cool small-block V-8

GM Performance Parts designed our Fast Burn aluminum performance cylinder heads for small-block applications just like our Fast Burn 385 turn-key crate engine. Engineered to meet the demands of a hungry small-block with an aggressive camshaft, the Fast Burn cylinder heads are the featured component on this awesome small-block Chevy crate engine that blends the ZZ4 350 short block with the latest in cylinder head technology. With this hot, new turn-key option, all you need to do is install it, add the fuel, add 12V power, and go start some trouble.
    Rated at 385 horsepower and 385 lb.-ft. of torque, the Fast Burn 385 is all ZZ4 inside the crank case including the forged steel crankshaft, hypereutectic pistons, and steel hydraulic roller camshaft. Thanks to a set of the GM Performance Parts Fast Burn cylinder heads, that same short block breathes deeper and more efficiently than ever. These heads have the exclusive Fast Burn combustion chamber design to maximize the efficiency of burning the air/fuel mixture more quickly and completely—resulting in an impressive increase in power.
    The Fast Burn 385 Turn-Key is delivered to you with an aluminum dual-plane intake manifold, HEI distributor, cast iron water pump, damper, and flexplate. It also includes an accessory drive package, fuel pump, chrome air cleaner kit, Holley 750-cfm carburetor, starter, and spark plug wires. That’s a lot of horsepower in one box—we hope you can handle it!
    Possible Applications

• Replace that iron-headed original
    • Make that show car a little faster than you first planned
    • Take it drag racing and see what happens

FAST BURN 385 TECH SPECS:part Number: 12499710Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8Displacement (cu in): 350Bore x stroke (in): 4.00 x 3.48Block (P/N 10105123): Cast iron with 4-bolt main capsCrankshaft (P/N 12556307): Forged steelConnecting rods (P/N 10108688): Powdered metal steelPistons (P/N 10159436): Hypereutectic aluminumCamshaft type (P/N 10185071): Hydraulic rollerCamshaft lift (in): .474 intake / .510 exhaustCamshaft duration (@.050 in): 208'c1 intake / 221'c1 exhaustCylinder heads (P/N 12464298): Fast Burn aluminum; 62cc chambersValve size (in): 2.00 intake / 1.55 exhaustCompression ratio: 9.6:1Rocker arms (P/N 10089648): stamped steelRocker arm ratio: 1.5:1Recommended fuel: 92 octaneIgnition timing: 32'c1 total @ 4000 rpm with vacuum advance disconnectedMaximum rpm: 5800

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    ZZ383 - Big-block-style power from a small-block engine!

If you’re looking for a small-block Chevy that makes big-block power, we’ve got the engine for you! For the ultimate GM Performance Parts small-block crate engine, choose the ZZ383—a combination of Fast Burn aluminum performance heads and a 383" stroker small-block that can add up to 425 horsepower and 449 lb.-ft. of torque.
    A carefully engineered balance of torque-producing bottom-end power and horsepower-inducing Fast Burn cylinder heads combine for the ZZ383/425’s stellar performance statistics. The Fast Burn heads have large 2.00"/1.55" valves
    and specially designed chambers that draw in lots of air and fuel, burning the mixture quickly and completely. It’s a combination that generates great mid- and high-rpm power, which, when combined with the 383 cubic inch displacement, creates an awesome all-around performer.
    The ZZ383 has a specially modified engine block and 3.80"-stroke crankshaft, which produce 383 cubic inches of pure performance. The reciprocating assembly is comprised of heavy-duty components including a 4340, nitrided, and inductionhardened forged crankshaft, and unique, heavy-duty powdered metal rods. It’s 425 horses of bulletproof performance.
    With the ZZ383/425, you get the power of a big-block with the size and weight of an aluminum-headed small-block. If you’ve never driven a car with a stroked small-block and the top end components to support it, now is your chance!
    Possible Applications

• The perfect small-block for your ‘55-57 shoebox
    • An 11-second starting point for your street/strip car
    • A street car that deserves big power
    • A weekend race car that sees a lot of action

ZZ383/425 TECH SPECS:part Number: 12498772Engine type: Chevy small-block V-8Displacement (cu in): 383Bore x stroke (in):4.00 x 3.80Block (P/N 88962516): Cast iron with 4-bolt main capsCrankshaft (P/N 12489436): Forged steelConnecting rods (P/N 12497624): Heavy-duty PM steelPistons (P/N 12499103): Hypereutectic aluminumCamshaft type (P/N 12370846): Hydraulic rollerCamshaft lift (in): .509 intake / .528 exhaustCamshaft duration (@.050 in): 222'c1 intake / 230'c1 exhaustCylinder heads (P/N 12464298): Fast Burn aluminum; 62cc chambersValve size (in): 2.00 intake / 1.55 exhaustCompression ratio: 9.6:1Rocker arms (P/N 12367345): Aluminum roller styleRocker arm ratio: 1.5:1Recommended fuel: 92 octaneIgnition timing: 32'c1 total @ 3000 rpm with vacuum advance disconnectedMaximum rpm:6000

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    but 4500? man i just put 3600 into buyin it... and if i shoved that into the truck the little lady would cut my budget on my Rivi.. i have a 68 riviera GS one dent but a minor one.. its my penny and nickel car.. i got a 455 in it pushin 465hp well was.. threw a rod there too.. but im rebuilding that one.:big_smile:
    im going to try to keep this truck as stock as possible to keep the mileage i can with gas the way it is i cant afford to have 2 complete gas hawgs. but boy id like to. thank you for the input.

14. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    sounds like you're out enough money already,if i was you i'd just look around for someone whos selling a motor thats aready pulled,or maybe someone parting out a car or truck that had a 350.usually they're pretty easy to find.i see them in the paper around here selling for 2 and 300 bucks all the time.

15. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    well tomorrow is the day i put in the new motor..ok start i suspect it will take the weekend. i got a 350 crate motor from GM . turns out my brother knows a guy that works with them and got me a 30% discount! and all the specs will match cuz its coming from GM who took my entire vin# to match with the motor.. not to mention i also get a 3 yr 100,000 mile parts and labor warranty with it! so with the 30% off the bump up to the manufacturer with the warranty its the same as getting one rebuilt from a store! but a NEW motor and a better warranty. now its time to start wrenching. id like to say thank you to all the guys that commented and helped me out with this. i appreciate it.:big_smile:

16. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    You made a good choice, its new:big_smile: think about it.

17. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    THE MOTOR IS IN AND RUNNING JUST GOTTA BREAK IT IN AND GET THE FRONT IN ALIGNED AND SOME TIE RODS MAYBE. THEN ITS GOOD AS NEW!!!!
    THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP I APPRECIATE IT.:big_smile:

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    great job
    I bet the ol z 71 will get it when called upon, good luck:cool2: