93 Mercury Black Max 150

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tkyhnt, Dec 12, 2006.

1. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This motor came on my boat when I purhased it a year and a half ago. Simple question the motor runs fine, but I noticed that it does not "spit" water until the temp reaches the 130 degree range. It does not seem to mater if its in the lake or hooked up to a hose at the house. Once the temp gets up it spits fine. I am still a novice in the whole boating deal but all the other boats I have been on spit as soon as they are fired up. Like I said it runs fine and spits great once the temp is up. My question is this normal. I had a new impeller put in before I took it home, so I do not think that is the problem. Just curious.

Mark

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Some are like yours and won't spit iuntil the thermostat opens up. It may not have a bypass route for the water to spit out the tell tale hole.

When on the hose, do you notice it coming out the exhaust in the prop hub?

While your using your boat, I'll bet the water's spitting out continuously.

3. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It does come out of the hole up top after it's warm just not when the motor is cold, Seems to spit the same no matter if its in the lake or at the house. When its hooked up to the hose I have not noticed it coming out the exhaust in the prop. I feel its just something with a thermostate or something, just curious. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Sounds to me like its time to replace the impellor and inspect the water pump. The engine should have water coming out of the prop, and it should be coming out of the hole at all times. Either that or you have some sort of blockage somewhere.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My 94 200 Merc EFI does pretty much the same thing - weak if anything out of the telltale at idel until it warms up, even after replacing the entire water pump assembly; once I get on the throttle, it does fine. Running on the hose at home, I get little if any water out the telltale.

If the engine temperature stays in the normal range while you're operating it, I wouldn't worry too much. But if it's consistently on the high side, you might want to replace the thermosat and see if that does anything to help.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Tap that water jacket before T-stat entry and install a pressure gage and that will tell you real quick if the pump is working.