'93 115 yamaha

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fishstick, Dec 26, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    ok, so i have bought a used boat and motor. this rig is nearly 20 years old but has been taken pretty good care of. i have no idea how many hours are on this motor. i'll be taking it on some 10 to 20 mile trips on the mississippi river. any ideas on the kind of problems that could strand me somewhere and what spare parts would i be smart to carry on the boat on these long trips that might keep me from getting stranded. i'm installing a remote fuel filter/water seperator. replacing all the fuel lines from the tank to the motor. replacing the lines from the remote oil tank to the motor and changing the gearlube in the foot. basically, i'm worried mostly about the electronics on the engine failing. any electronic parts that are simply plug in and go parts that a novice could service if they failed on the water? any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's hard to tell when these late model electrical component s are about to go. You can take spare engine fuses, and replace it if it blows.

Start out with some short trips and get confident with your engine. Do all that you said your are going to do, and I'd get a new water pump installed for piece of mind. It'll be fine for a few years after that.

Yamaha components hold up well. I do remember having to replace a stator on a 115 once, but it was run over by another boat and damaged.

Be sure all wiring is clear of the flywheel, like those sensor wires coming from the oil tank.

3. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I have 90hp of the same year and haven't had many problems with it. The fact of the matter is, that most people will never wear out a outboard engine, most problems are caused by lack of maintenance and use. Other than what you have already done, if the engine has sat for any lenght of time you might want to check the water pump, as far as what to carry, you really don't need a whole lot. Spare prop, some fuses and a tool kit.... and of certianly the fix all......duct tape....:smile2:.......J/K.

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks bob, someone said something about a filter in the oil tank. is that something that i could replace myself or should i take it to the dealer.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I know the OMC remote tanks and the Yammie remote tanks have a filter that you clean out. Danged if I can remember about those engine tanks. It makes sense that there would be, Andy should be able to tell you.

Yo, Andy 52, how 'bout it.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    about that remote tank. i just keep oil in it and it transfers automatically to the motor tank?

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Billy if your 93 115 is like mine what ever you do ,don,t use mixed gas in it the carbs on that engine is designed for straight gas no mixed fuel .In answer ing your question just keep the tank full an it sends it to the engine as needed

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thats good to know dt---i'd thought about that.

9. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Mine has a filter at the bottom of the pick up tube in the tank, one inline that I have added and one on the engine..... can't say they all have those though.

10. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Billy just before my motor went out of factory warrenty i ask the dealer where i bought it that question an that is what they told me .If you put mixed fuel in it you will have to clean an rebuild carbs ,so dont do it . Under the cowl on the right side of engine is a small tank that the res.keeps full ,or is the emergency oil

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i saw the switch on it today

12. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Billy is your the v pro 115 or the reg 115 ? If it is the v pro i think i still got the factory prop that came on mine ,it is a stainless prop .but i had to replace my lower unit an it would not work with the new one ,had to reprop for correct rpm,s .If you might need one let me know

13. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Can't help much with this one mine is a jet drive.

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    mine is a 115TLRR, whatever that is. and yea i could always use a spare prop. i got a stainless but could use a spare--what pitch and how much?

15. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Billy let me check an make sure i still have it .i will let you know ,as long as i still have it it will be cheap

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That switch you have on the engine is called a "Return to port" switch.

If for some reason the oil transfer pump goes out on your remote tank, or something goes wrong with your oil tank sensor, and the low oil alarm sounds off, That switch bypasses all the bs, and activates the remote oil pump, filling your engine oil tank.

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Oil tank?

18. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Bob, you see what happens when a person bounces back and forth between threads and trys to get ready for dinner all at the same time. I didn't follow up on the thread......open mouth and insert foot......:smile2: I thought you were talking about the fuel tank.:embarassed:....Sorry guys.

19. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    i have the same motor,the biggest problem with the electrical is the ignition sysyem requires the biggest amperage cranking battery you can get.that engine has to turn over really fast to produce a hot enough spark to fire.i didnt have a manual,and learned this through a yammaha sevice dept. i put in a new battery,it turned the motor over just find to me.but had week fire at the plugs.service dept.put in bigger battery.cured problem.

20. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Billy i checked with my son on the prop he had already traded it out for something he wanted ,you got to watch them younguns they do stuff like that at times :wink: