92 Plymoth Voyager....Trans Cable??

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by teaysvalleyguy, May 17, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I know very little about vehicles, just basic upkeep. Wife went out to start her van up today and she came in a said it would not start. Well, you can shift from Park-Low gear with no resistance. Automatic Transmission, is there a cable or something that runs between the 2 that could be broke?? Have no idea other then it needs fixed whatever is wrong. LMAO

Thanks in advance. Tea

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Tea yes there is a cable that goes from the shifter to the trans. It sounds like it may have came off where it hooks on to the trans. You should be able to see it on the top of the trans back near the firewall.

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    OK, well, Dad came over and took a look. Tore off the steering colum and looked around. It looks like where the rod? connect to the colum it poped out or off. He did not have any deep sockets with him and neither did I so he is gonna come back over tomorrow night. He thinks it just needs to be popped back in. Not sure if there is some kind of ring or it just sits in there. I will go out and get some pics if I can to show you guys what I am talking about.

Tea

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Took a few pics, and this is the best one. You can see the empty socket there that the rod goes in. Not sure if there is any kind of clip or if it just sits in there??

Thanks everyone for the help.

5. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
  6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Tea the cable just snaps into the plastic bushing that is in the lever. If it doesn't snap in real tight the bushing will need to be replaced. Also make sure that the metal end of the cable is not bent. I have seen them get bent after the pop out.

7. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    More likely than not, it has came loose at the shifter. It really depends if it is column shift or not, but I run a Pepboys let me know I will get you some prices.

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    tea the rod probably goes to the nuetral safty switch and the car wont start unless the arm is in the right position gettin g it hooked up will probably take care of it temp but the new bushing needs installed and if you heat it a bit with a hair drier it will goe in a lot easier,hope thats the problem it is a pretty easy fix if that is it

9. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Everyone I appreciate the input. I am going to try and get that bushing tomorrow, really need to get it fixed so wife has a vehicle.

So, I need to get new bushing, pop back into place and everything should be OK.

I just hope I can go get the part, not a order and take weeks to get. Will find out more tomorrow, I appreciate all the input guys.