'92 Evinrude 40 HP fuel pump

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by okie catfish hunter, May 30, 2006.

1. okie catfish hunter

okie catfish hunter Member

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    I need to replace/rebuild the fuel pump on my 1992 40 horse evinrude. The local shop wants $305.18 + tax for a new pump and says kits are no longer available. Does anyone know of kits still being available or what are my options ?

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Have yu tried looking at salveage yard for a good used one? that sounds like a lot to me. I do know that I ws told they don't make a kit for my 67. 40hp evinrude any more. good luck

3. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    No I haven't. I don't know of a boat salvage near here. I have got to figure out a part number for the kit and search for one, maybe on e-bay.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I was just reminded of something, It was not my fuel pump. It was a bad fuel line ballpump. the chack valves got reversed and would not let gas flow. I now have 3 spare gas lines from replacing and repearind mine.
    they are a lot cheaper than pumps.
    Put someting in the end of hose to let pressure out and try pumping ball to see if gas is available to motor. It is getting so i check this everytime my motor acts up. good luck.

5. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    okie ......... if u have ur model numbers off the engine , there is a website with a parts break down .............. handy site ........http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

6. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Thanks for the link Coach!! It's a model TE40ELEIA, If I'm looking correctly the fuel pump kit is part number 0433519, It's a little confusing to me because it's a VRO engine that has had the oil injection system bypassed. I'm still not having any luck finding the kit but I'll keep looking. Thanks again, Dave

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If the oil injection system has been bypassed then you may be able to put a regular type pump on it. I'll search around and find out.

I replaced the one on my brothers and the pump cost nearly 500 bucks so they are expensive.

Try this place and see if they might have one that you can get but the kits were discontinued some time ago.

http://www.twincityoutboard.com/

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You can put a regular fuel pump on that engine.

If I remember correctly the area of the engine the regular pump mounted to has a cap over it, held in place with two 1/4-20 bolts.

If that doesn't work, there is a pump that doesn't mount to the block and has 3 hoses coming from it. One hose to the same pulse line that operates your pump now and an inlet and outlet fuel line.

9. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    OK I've given up on a kit for the pump. I have found a non-RVO replacement (part # 438402) for $169.00. Is this the least expensive solution or is something else available. Thanks, Dave

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That sounds about right.