92.1 catfish caught in Lower Otay

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by askins00, Feb 17, 2007.

1. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    Lower Otay opened with a bang this past week and it remains one of the top bets for bass in the region with a lot of fish up to 6 pounds reported. The bite is on everything from shiners and crawdads to plastics and spoons. There was also a new lake record blue catfish -- 92.1 pounds -- landed here this past week.
    Anyone know who caught it?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Askins welcome to the BOC. If you find a picture in one of the papers of that 92.1# blue cat please post it. That sounds like a :big_smile: whopper to me.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    WON......San Diego fisherman James Odem was soaking a mudsucker in the Harvey Arm of Lower Otay resevoir when the whopping 92.1 lb wiskerfish bit. The fish was just a mere 9 lbs shy of breaking the California state record for the blue catfish
    This is all that I can find right now about this fish... will post more when available....

bayrunner ray.....

4. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
  5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks capt steve.... I have been spending the afternoon getting ready to hit the road tomorrow am with plumbertom1 as we are heading out of town for a few days..... off to the Colorado River at Blythe and Needles to check out the crappie, and cats at Topock Marsh...... So again thanks for finding the information to add to the earlier post.... has anyone seen a picture of this beast yet?

Steve... have you been out lately? trout or cats?

bayrunner ray

6. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Wow what a fish!

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I bet that catfish was fun to catch!

8. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    That's what dreams are made of. Great story. Lucky guy.

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome Askins thanks for the info .

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The 92 pounder was caught by a guy I know James in San Diego who is a friend of my other buddy down there. James been on a roll lately with him getting a 64 pounder a month ago at San Vicente fishing at the aqueduct part.

The mudsucker was the bait eventhough some reports said it was mackerel. Lower Otay is a good lake. I have not had any luck on cats there, but have done well with crappie and bluegill over there. A few of us has made it a point to learn that lake for the cats there since San V will be closing for a good while. Otay will be the only chance at getting a giant blue in S.D. The other lakes like El Cap, and Sutherland they do not seem to get so big in those lakes in San Diego.

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    No pics around of that fish anywhere?

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Vince I have not seen any pics of the cat but a friend of mine who was there said that the cat was not long as you would think; it was just a stocky fat cat. A lot of times at these lakes specifically the San Diego City Lakes they would take a picture(polaroid) to put at the lake shop but they will not necessarily send the pics to media outlets. Pay lakes would have sent the pics to newspaper and local fishing writers with the quickness. A person would have to have his own camera ad send the pics to palces like Western Outdoors and hunting and fishing magazine. Thats what I do when I get my good catches.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Man I wish we had fish like that around here!!

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome and thanks for the infro Bro

15. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I found this picture of that big fish where it was posted on a different forum. So I thought everyone would enjoy seeing it.
    By Ed Zieralski
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

7:29 p.m. February 12, 2007

James Odom is known for catching lots of big crappie whenever he fishes, but late Saturday afternoon at Lower Otay Lake, he landed the biggest catfish of his life.
    Odom was fishing with 20-pound test line and baiting a mudsucker when he hooked into a 92.10-pound blue catfish, the third-heaviest freshwater fish ever caught in San Diego County.

“We were fishing at the entrance to Harvey Arm, and it was almost time to quit fishing when I heard my drag go off,” Odom said. “I thought the boat was moving it or something, but then I noticed that the line was peeling off. I took the rod and set the hook, and it was like I was stuck on a rock. It wouldn't budge.”
    Odom fought the fish for about 15 minutes before getting it tired enough to net. But that became an issue when they saw how big the fish was.

“Our net was so small we could only get its head in it,” Odom said.

But they managed to boat it, and Odom took it back to the dock to get it weighed.

Jose Gutierrez, assistant reservoir keeper, verified the weight at 92.10 pounds, making it the third heaviest freshwater fish ever landed in San Diego County history.

In March of 2000, Roger Rohrbouck was baiting a shiner on 10-pound test line at San Vicente when he caught a 101-pound blue catfish, still the state and county record for that species.

In March of 2003, Justin Fools of Escondido was stitching an 11-inch brown and black plastic worm when he hooked a 99.5-pound blue catfish.

Odom's catch, late Saturday night, capped an exciting opening week at Lower Otay.

“It couldn't have happened to a better or more deserving fisherman,” said Lower Otay reservoir keeper Bryan Norris. “He's out here all the time fishing and really knows this lake. He was fishing for crappie, but it was such a zoo back in Harvey Arm that he went out and started fishing for catfish.”

Best thing about Odom's catch is that, just like Rohrbouck and Fools before him, he released it after photographing it.

“It was a really healthy fish and swam off when it was put back in the water,” Norris said.

Norris said Odom's blue catfish measured 54 inches long, compared to Rohrbouck's blue that was 52½ inches long.

There likely is a lot heavier blue catfish in Lower Otay. Back when fisheries biologist Larry Bottroff was still electrofishing the city lakes and recording fish populations, he and Ron Montoro shocked a blue catfish at Lower Otay in 1999 that went 55.3 inches long and sported a 39.3-inch waistline. Bottroff estimated that fish went between 95 and 110 pounds.

“I'm going after a bigger one now,” Odom said Sunday afternoon during a telephone interview on All Outdoors Radio on KCBQ-1170 AM.

[​IMG]

16. BigOlGooduns

BigOlGooduns New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would love to catch a fish like that. I'd put a saddle on it, put it in a small swimming pool and charge the neighborhood kids admission!

17. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey gang I took the liberty of working the photo magic to the pic...

bayrunner ray

18. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    thats what fishing is all about, excellent fish