91 jimmy transmission

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catseeman, Jun 3, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have a 91 s15 jimmy. I had it in local chevy dealer for service last friday. well saturday the trany started slipping. Fluid level ok.
    Could the transfercase be low on fluid and cause the trany to slip?
    I had to drive it about 60miles home after i noticed it slipping. it slips after it warms up. it will operate ok in driveway until warm. Help do i need a trany or what?
    Thanks

2. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Transfer case will not cause a slip condition. Did the fluid smelled burnt? You could try to change the filter and maybe flush the trans, but if that doesn't help, it will have to be gone into.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Take the pan off to change the filter. While the pans off torque the valve body bolts down. Theres about 20 of them, work your way around starting from the inside out so the valve body doesn't warp. Don't get'em real tight they are threaded into alluminum 12 inch pounds maybe? If fluid smells burnt then the tranny is toasted. If it smells ok put a quart of "lucas transmission stop slipp" in it and top it off with atf.

what did the chevy dealer do to it? It started slipping after they worked on it?

4. How many miles does it have on it? I assume its the 4L60E tranny? My 1992 s-10 I had a year ago was having some slipping problems when it was hitting 150,000 miles. I assumed it was just because it was just because of the high mileage. If your case is the same I would just get a refurbished tranny of you have the dough to do so. those trannys are a dime a dozen and you could get a decent one cheap to bypass all the hard work you will put into rebuilding the one you have.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    Welcome to the site Cade. I have not got to do much to it this weekend. the fluid doesn't smell burn . I will probable pull it out this week.

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    If the fluid isn't burnt it isn't slipping bad yet. You prolly have a sticky valve. The lucas transmission fluid will fix a sticky valve, you can get it at napa or advance auto parts.