90 Olds 88 Temp light comeing on....

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by teaysvalleyguy, May 16, 2007.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    OK, here we go. This car has been a great car. Have put 150,000+ miles on it with little issue.

The temp light came on last week.

Yesterday was repair day, lol. The water pump was replaced about 2 months ago. I replaced the thermostat yesterday. I also realized that the fan motor was not running, I replaced the fan motor.

The temp light is still comeing on. Does anyone have any other idea's here. Just dont want to end up blowing the head gasket or cracking the head.

Thanks

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Does the new electric fan kick on?Open the hood and check that.

Is the light always on,or after 5-10 minutes?

Could also be a faulty sensor-a small strip of black electricians tape over the light will solve that.

If you replaced the water pump,check the belt tension,might of loosened.

Good Luck.

Also might try replacing radiator cap.

You never said if its actually overheating...see any steam or hear bubbling?

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO

Thanks cook for all the help. I will try to replace the radiator cap and see if that helps.

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    sounds like a thermostat sticking even though u put a new one in it could be fualty out of the box. also check your coolant level in the radiator and watch your temp guage. if it floats hot to cold its low on coolant. also u may have lost some antifreeze and may be runnign on just mostly water try these and let me know if u still have problems. i work on cars alot so i am glad to help

thanks

tell your friends lol

i live in indiana by the way nice to meet ya

Kevin

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    First thing I would check would be that the fan is coming on. Alot of times the temperature sensor will go bad and the fan will not work.

6. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    A good radiator flush wouldn't hurt.

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Fan is working Jason. I am at a loss man.

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Billy I have done that twice now. Most recently was just after I got the water pump replaced about 2-3 months ago or so.

Appreciate the help.

9. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks everyone who is trying to help.

Today it did not come on, but Ohio had a nice cool day. I have taken all your advice and checked everything.

I feel like House, lol. Trying to diagnose a problem and I feel like I have checked everything.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you had done something with the cooling system right before the light came on I would say you needed to burp the system.

Other then that, save yourself alot of money and get a water temp guage on that thing . Idiot lights are called idiot lights for a reason.
    You'll feel like an idiot for depending on one when you wind up with a major repair bill.

11. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks Mark, lol. I may rename em Tea lights after this excursion. hehehe

12. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Did you have the radiator rodded or flushed? Sometimes they get so stopped up with corrosion they need to be rodded. I've been working on vehicles for quite a few years and if the fan is coming on at the time the engine is overheating you've most likely got a circulation problem. When the engine is overheating you should be able to squeeze the upper radiator hose and feel the coolant circulating through it. If you can't it's most likely a bad thermostat. You do get bad ones that are brand new. Sometimes engine timing can also cause one to overheat.

13. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks man, I flushed it with some kind of flush that Prestone makes and they sell at Auto Zone. I followed directions to the T.

I will check it out next time it heats up, I'll squeeze and see if I can feel it circulating.

It has not over heated the last two days, but, cold front came through Ohio. Maybe the car is good to go though. I sure hope so.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The first thing is to make sure it is overheating and not a faulty light or sensor, if it is not getting hot your wasting a lot of time. Find someone that has a digital therometer and test the rad. and engine when the light comes on. Also I would run a dye test to see if you are getting compression in the rad. If all is good pull the rad. out and take it to a rad repair shop and have it flow tested.

15. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    On the right side of the radiator ( passenger side of car) there should be a senser screwed into the radiator with a wire attached. If the wire has come loose or senser is bad it will cause temp light to come on. If the connection isn't good it will make it work one time and not the next time..... just like a loose light bulb will work until you hit a bump.

Jesse

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    the sensor on the left side of the rad. is a low coolant sensor and is set off by air bubbles passing by it.

17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks guys for all the info, will get those connections checked today and see what I can do about a dye test.

Appreciate it all guys. Yall are saveing me a ton from the local mechanics, they may hate you. lol

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Tea I had a 75 nova with a 350 in it that done the same thing after I put in a new water pump & therostat. Pulled the new therm out and found a piece of old gasket sealent stuck in it. replaced it and never had any more problems with it.

19. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Here's what I would do-

Find out if it is really overheating. Take it to a radiator shop. They will check temps of engine, hoses & different areas of the radiator. They can also check coolant pressure for a leak or bad cap. The shop I use doesn't charge for this.

If it's not really overheating, might be temp sender, bad wire or ground, low batt voltage, or bad gauge.

Other possible causes- lots of bugs on radiator, lean air/fuel mixture, computer-controlled ignition timing not advancing enough, electric fan not coming on, bad fan clutch or fanbelt slipping (on older cars), fan not running when AC is used, mixing antifreezes that turn to jello.

HTH

20. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Lets go tru this and get your problem solved. The water pump, t-stat, and cooling fan has been replaced. I assume all those are working properly. Are you loosing coolant? If so, pressure ck the system and ck for a leak around the engin, radiator, heater hoses, and heater inside the car. If none are found, ck your oil to be sure no coolant is leaking back into the crankcase. If this happens, the oil will be chocolat in color and the oil filler cap will have moisture in it. This can be caused by a head gasket, intake gasket, or oil cooler depending on how your engin is designed.
    Next take that car to a shop and have them ck the radiator for a compression leak into the cooling system. If you find nothing wrong after this, your problem is most likely a radiator that has lost its cooling effeciency due to buildup inside the core. The best long term fix is replacement of that radiator. I like the other advice you received, especally about checking the water temp to see if its hot. Most of the time those overtemp lights are right on. On some cars the temp sensor for the cooling fan will go bad, but I assume the fan comes on properly. Good luck, Pat Muckelroy