Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1982 johnson. That has sat for 6 years.
I had to put a stator on it.Wasn't getting fire.Re done
bad gas lines. Re did the carbs. Still act's like it aint getting
gas. but it back fires when I try to start it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
seeing spark jump the gap on a spark plug is NOT good enough, the spark MUST be able to jump a 1/2" gap. check that and if it dosen't it need to...very possable fuel related, compression should be arround 80 - 90psi

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Robert, if you have an O'Reiley's parts store near you, you can put a deposit down on a compression tester (actually, you leave the full price for the tool and if you fail to return it, they consider it sold you you. If you do return it, you get the deposit back... real nice program they have.). The first thing you should do whenever your going to work on an outboard is to get the compression of each cylinder. I believe the rule of thumb is they need to be within 15 psi of each other. Preferably your compression will be over 100...which gives you better performance. But if they are aound 85 psi per cylinder, you'll still run but will loose a lot at top end. Once your satisfied your compression is good, then start working on the more obvious things...your motor has a measurement that is called a link and sync. You need to get the book on this and do it just the way it says. Lots of people are shade tree mechanics and the first thing they do is to start turning and twisting. Well, that may not be bad, but it may not be good either. If your getting real poor spark, you can test the poser pack with a multimeter. Could be a slight timing issue, good be bad coils, but you need to systematically test each component on the motor. This is more fun than working a cross word puzzle, I'm telling you. Oh, the compression test will let you know if you have a blown head gasket also. You could also replace the head gasket and true up the cylinder head while doing this. It should increase your pressure readings slightly. Your problem has got to be in this area somewhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.k I bought new power pack and I got fire to all four cyclinders now.
Still Not wanting to start.Battery is kinda of old.I've got fuel,I've got compression,
I got Fire, Back fires and tries to start.But No GO. which wire is it to test the rectifier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O k This is a 1982 90 hp Johnson .I have a new battery.
I have good compression on all four cylinders.I also have GOOD
spark.Carburetors have been cleaned out.Has started and ran.
Just seems NOT right . back fires little when trying to start it.
At the time it started and ran good for 10 minutes or so. turned off
for the night and now seems like it wants to but it don't. Carbs were cleaned
after it ran . Any Suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.