90 hp mercury dying

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by STICKBENDER, Jul 30, 2007.

1. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I continue to have problem with my motor dying, it will be running along fine and just sort of runs out of fuel. If I can jump up and squeeze bulb it will take off and run with out dying. I'm thinking a new fuel pump kit. where on line can i get the best price? Any other suggestions?

email: blehenbauer@lakesidecasting.com
    name: Bob Lehenbauer
    phone: 5737352426
    address:
    zipcode: 63456
    make: Mercury_outboard
    serial_number: 18038717
    horse_power: 90
    model:
    year: 2005
    part_description: fuel pump kit

2. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also does anyone have any tips on this it looks pretty straight forward ,(rebuild of fuel pump) I think I found a schematic showing the fuel pump.

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    before replacing or rebuilding the fuel pump make sure all the hoses and connections arent leaking air,loss of prime can also cause your problem

4. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Good point tony i was also going to mention the primer bulb or fuel line might have a pin hole in it causing it to suck air. i have a mercury mariner 115 inline 6 tower of power. that did the same thing.that gas going through the rubber hose tends to get brittle and crack after several years. you might also check the fuel lines going to your carbs while your at it. Hope this helps

Jeff

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have replaced all the hoses going to the engine as well as the bulb, I do hear a noise when I squeeze bulb like it is pushing air out at the engine (past the fuel pump). It will run fine until I open it up and then it doesn't do it all the time.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the line off that comes out of the fuel pump going to the carb and put it in a glas jar and turn engine over at cranking speed and watch it . If it is full of air bubbles and comes in little squirts then the pump needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

I'll find the number of the parts you need and post them along with a site to order them from.

Always keep in mind fellows if the engine dies and it dies down slow then it is fuel related if it just comes to a sudden stop and no loud bangs then its most likely elect.

7. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I tried the hose in the jar, very few bubbles, din't flow very much volume but steady.. I can hear air leaking around fuel pump when I squeeze bulb if this tells you anything.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    yep I would say you will need a pump or rebuild that one.

9. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bubbacat can you recommend where to get rebuild kit?

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  11. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think that is it I will double check in a.m., but I'm pretty sure thats it.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If that is the one then go to any Napa auto parts store or to any O'reiley's parts store and tell them to look in their serria book and get you kit number

18-7804

13. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I was wrong mine is more square than round 4 bolts vs: 3

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    back to the drawing board then see you in a little while.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bob is this motor a 3 cyl or a 6 cyl

17. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    bubbacat it is a 3 cylinder, and yes it looks like the second one you posted, thanks for all your help

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That would be sierra part number 18-7817 AT YOUR LOCAL NAPA OR ORIELY'S parts store.

If you have trouble getting them to order it just let me know. Half of those wanna be parts store workers don't even know about the serria parts book they have. If they say they can't order it just tell them to look in the serria book or code the computer with the letters SIE and it will give them sierra's parts list. They should be able to have it in a day or two.

This part shouldn't run you over 12 to 14 bucks if they shoot you a price above that very much just let me know and I'll show you a place on line for less then ten plus shipping

When you get it just be sure you keep in mind which way all the gaskets go in. This is only the digphram kit as the whole pump kit is about 80 bucks and look at the old gaskets before you tear the package open to make sur they look like the old ones. Take pictures along the way to help with reassembly.

19. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, after new plugs, new fuel line, new bulb, diaphram kit I still am having issue with motor dying at full throttle. It may run fine for and hour then evrything goes to crap. If jump up and squeeze bulb it will take off and continue to run if not it will die completely. I'm at a loss??????????

20. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    If you have access to a different fuel tank try that