9' rod choice...help needed

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by harper81, Oct 21, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I can't find a 9 ft. rod anywhere to save my life so I am just going to order one from the net. I am trying to keep it in the $20 range because well I am cheap. I have a few options just don't know which one to get. I narrowed it down to Cabela's King Kat, Wildcat Troph-E-Cat, Wildcat Rivercat, American Spirit Nite Stick and Hitech Ol' Whiskers. So if anyone has any experince with any these I would appreciate the help. Also what does this mean on the Nite Stik-- American Spirit Nite Stick 9ft Casting, Triggr. I am guessing the Triggr is trigger, but what exactly is trigger?

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Bill;
    Go with the CABELA'S King Kat Rod.
    I say this for reasons.
    1. It's within your price range.
    2. If you ever have any problems with it, Cabela's Stands Behind Their Products better than anyone else in the field that I know of among the sports gear suppliers! Actually, this is probably the most important part.
    3. I believe it will preform better than most of the other rods you mentioned as I have played with most of them at one time or another in the past few years.
    For some of the others, you can go to Catfish Connection. They are pretty reputable but are NOT in the Cabela's class!
    I hope this helps. If you need any further help please feel free to either PM me or ask any of the other Brother's and Sister's as you have with this post. I'm sure you will get several more replies in the coming days ahead.
    By the way, for your honesty about being "cheap", I am going to rep you for being honest and having the courage to admit it. I doubt that you really are "cheap" because considering your field of work I'd like to think it's more of a "Tight Budget" rather than being cheap! :wink:
    Take Care,
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    My wife uses the hitech ole wiskers and my buddy has an american spirit night stick and they both have done the job. I use the 9 ft BPS Catmaxx and like it real well but its a little more than you are looking to spend. I dont know much about the cabelas rods but if its cabelas Im sure its quality. I own a Berkley big game that I picked up at walmart for 20 bucks and its a nice rod also. So I would say you cant go wrong with any of the rods you are looking at, so I say flip a coin!:wink::big_smile:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The 9' casting american spirit night stick I have is almost 8 years old and still performs as good as when I first bought it. Thats gonna be my next rod I get. I love them. The BPS catmaxx crab has is a great rod also. I have one almost exactly like it. You won't be sorry if you get a nite stick!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill the trigger is above the reel seat on a straight handle rod. It helps you when useing one hand to cast. It's the part that hangs down that your pointer finger goes around. Good luck on your rod choice.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I recommend the nite stick i have three of them and they work like a charm.you wont be disappointed with it.Its built well and can haul those cats out of heavy cover if you need to.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree with that the kk's are nice, fit the reel your using well, great 0hook rod and like he said they stand behind it. oh yea if you buy from them you might a cabelas gift card shhh:wink:

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The High Tech Ol' Whiskers rod only has 6 line guides (5 + tip) so I probably wouldn't get it. The Wildcat and American Spirit 9' rods you mention have 9 line guides (8 + tip). Having more line guides helps spread out the pressure along the length of the rod better when you're fighting a big fish. I have several Nite Sticks and they are a great value. The Nite Sticks are stiff rods and the tip probably isn't as sensitive as the other rods, but they are well suited for fighting big fish.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah id have to agree with bumper the Only problem i have with the nite sticks is they are a little stiff and i dont find them very good to use with circle hooks but are great with kahles.

10. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    have u checked with eagle claw cheap and seem to be a ok rod it what i started with no problems here good luck