9' meduim action spinning Quantum Big Cat fisihing rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Apr 10, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was wondering if any of you have this exact rod. I was thinking about getting a couple for catching smaller cats while fishing from a boat. Do any of you think this 9' rod would be too long for boat fishing. I usually don't use over a 7'-6" rod from a boat. I believe this is the only med. action spinning rod you can get in a Big Cat. Any info. appreciated.

2. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my favorite rod is my 7' medium action berkley glowstik
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0031094119907a&navCount=1&podId=0031094&parentId=cat20374&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true
    it is made of e-glass and has LED lights in it so it lights up while night fishing, it is great for big cats, carp, and stripers

the reel i have on it is a quantum hyper castHPL20
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&id=0029859119390a&navCount=4&podId=0029859&parentId=cat20333&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true&hasJS=true
    it is the smoothest reel i have ever used, i have 20 pound test spider whire on it,

i love this combo the links above are pictures of them

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I need more imput on this specific rod please, THANKS!

4. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I have one of these rods and it is a bit long for a "boat" rod.
    I like nothing longer than about 8' but it depends on how large
    and how much room you have on your boat. The rod has plenty
    of backbone and looks to be built well. I would not hesitate to
    use it on most anything except maybe large flathead in a river
    with strong currents. Mine is equiped with an Okuma EB80 which seems to
    be a good balance.
    If you're going to be doing mostly fishing from a boat a shorter rod would be easier to handle.
    (Maybe something like a Tiger or a Big Water Shakespear.)

Later..... :0a26:

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bob, I appreciate the info, I knew there had to be someone out there who has this particular rod. THANKS!

6. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    No problem.... I was asking myself the same question a while back and figured
    that the Big Cat was a bit much for boat fishing. I wound up with a shorter rod.
    It's not all that much shorter at 8' but it is 2 piece so it will be easier to
    transport and store. Everyone needs more rods anyway. LOL (I've never had a
    problem with 2 piece rods).

What I got is an Ugly Stick "Catfish" (UCSP110280). I got a good price on it at
    Wally World. Funny, it looks to be built lighter than the Quantum but it's listed
    as Medium Heavy. Should make a nice Channel rod (I hope).

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Don't Have The 9 Ft Big Cat But I Do Have The Cabelas King Kat 9 Ft And It's To Long For Boat Fishing. I Hope This Helps You.