9 MAY Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by rit.05, May 9, 2007.

1. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Had a great morning out there with Tony Shepherd. He really twisted my arm to get me to give up a morning of work...

I'll let him chime in with specifics, but I just wanted to mention that I caught my new personal best catfish today at 23lbs. I know it's not that big, but I'm getting addicted to this game. We were near Ft Washington with fresh shad. (I really need to get better with my cast net).

Other than that, Tony demonstrated his cast net abilities early on and shared a wealth of fishing knowledge throughout the trip. Thanks for a great time on the water man, and I'm sure we'll get after em again.

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Dan,

Way to go with the PB. don't worry about the weight now, it just means you know have another target to shoot for your next PB.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The PB will get bigger as you go this is a hard time to catch big fish with the spwan going on. We only had a 22,21,18 and about 20 smaller ones but it will get there again here soon.

4. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Fished the river last Saturday between Fort Washington and the Occoquan and only managed to catch 1 decent size blue and several channel cats. I was actually glad to catch the channels it been a while since I have seen many. It seems thier numbers get better the farther south in the river I go. Bait was easy to catch in the Occoquan river channel at the begging of the no wake zone. You never know what will come up in the net here, along with the shad I caught 2 largmouth, a couple of crappie, several bluegill and I think a yellow perch along with small catfish.

5. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    I've been catching quite a few channels also. Maybe my baits aren't big enough, or maybe they are a little more aggressive with the blues spawning. Either way, I like catching them too.