9.9 Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by sirdank, May 4, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just got a 9.9 evinrude '82 works great. Now I also have a '79 that im thinking about rebuilding. Now it has very little compression and we took off the head and the exhaust plate, the rings are free and no scoring on the walls it's actually very clean in side and in the head. I was thinking about rebuilding it with a 15hp carb. Im pretty new to this and have a shop available (work). Just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions about the compresion and/or the 15hp upgrade. Thank you

p.s. caught a 6.4lb largemouth yesterday a pb for me!

Attached Files:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What do you mean very little compression? What were the numbers? I am not to sure on the upgraded carb, bubbakat may have to chime in on that. My take on the low compression is this. If you are getting a low reading, and you are 100% sure that you don't have broken or stuck rings, and the cylinders walls are not grooved, it would almost have to be the head gasket.

3. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well not 100% sure about the rings... but pretty sure as for the walls they look good. this motor has been sitting on it's side for probably 10 years. It is not completely torn down yet just seeing if I can avoid that.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If it were me, really the only way atleast that I know of, would be to put on a new head gasket, and recheck the compression to see if it has improved. The head itself could also be warped. Easiest way to check that is to find a machined flat surface, and put the head flat against it and inspect to see if anything looks warped. If the head is not warped, and the new head gasket does not improve the compression, the rings are really the only thing left. I really can't think of anything else that I am missing, is this a 2 cylinder? I have never really fooled around with the smaller outboards.,

5. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes it is a 2 cylinder

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What is the compression numbers on each cylinder???????? Try and post as much information as you can, it makes it easier for people to know what we are looking at.