9 /9/09 downtown WILMINGTON

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Jollymon, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Aaron ,peggy an myself went for a while this evening ,just fishn for bait mainly . we fished till about 7:30 an dropped Peggy off downtown with the car club. Aaron an i went back out ,we fished to about 11;30 we ended up with 2 sail cats or saltwater cats 1 was 5.7 lbs the other one was a touch bigger but we didn,t weigh him{ forgot i had the scales on the boat} . We also caught 3 blues 1- 10.7 lbs 1--14.3 lbs an 1 --19.2 lbs ,we missed 4 good hits an had 1 on for about 2 mins an lost him ,[i know if we had a got him in he would have gone 30 -35 lbs easy]:wink::smile2: all fish where release to fight again some day ,we took pics but they are on Aarons phone so i need to get him to download them for me.

You could not have asked for a nicer night to be on the river downtown than it was tonite :cool2:

baits that caught fish tonite eels an 1 came on shrimp ,but we did have a hit on mennhaden head also

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    I used to goto school down there doing the marine science program at Cape Fear CC. Were you fishing right next to downtown? Anchored up or drifting? Sounds like a good trip with some nice fish to go with it!!!:big_smile:

3. ptaylor

ptaylor New Member

State:
    Duplin Co., NC
    Sounds like you had a heck of a night Dickie. It was a a great night to fish, wish I could have been there.

4. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Austion we were anchored ,an when we had the best luck was when the tide turned an started back in ,.we were fishing between the bridges ,in the Cape fear tech area

5. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    way to go dickie.............i guess i,m going back saturday morning early to do some bat catching my self for the tourney up here.......this time ill probably take my boat after seeing what randy and nick did last friday!.....who knows....i might catch dinner!:smile2:

6. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kevin i had never heard of anyone being ran off the old pier before ,i thought that was part of the battleship property ,i guesss i was lucky the time or 2 i fished from it :wink:

7. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrats on the fun trip Dickie , Hope you guy's make the tourny next month . Hopefully I'll get down there this weekend , and catch a couple ...:wink::big_smile:

Kevin , Good luck in tourny this weekend , and hope you have luck catching bait ...:wink::big_smile:

8. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    dickie, im not going to say they were running people off....some old chick in a benz suv pulled up with a guy in a f350....spoke to a few out there and the packed up and left.....the guy with the truck unloaded a mower as the woman was working down the bank to me........so i just assumed thats what she was doing so i packed up and left before she made it there! she just had that p.m.s. look to her:smile2: but ill go back and do it again......as far as i could see it wasnt posted land! maybe wes would know that answer for sure!

9. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    thanks nick....we got one this weekend and the following on the neuse!

10. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    nice catch Dickie thats a good night on the river.I hope they bite that good next time I get down there.

11. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Well we went back out last night to ruffly the same spots an no luck what so ever ,couldn,t even get any eels to bite .Maybe next time last night was this a good night on the water ,but no where near a nice a night as the night before ,weather wise or fish :wink:

12. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Dickie, glad you had a good time, sorry last night did not go as well, but there is always tonight.

13. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    dont talk like that dickie......im going down in the morning to castle street...........going to take a trap with me too..................:wink::smile2:

14. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kevin my trap is down there now ,only got 1 in it last night so we moved it to another spot to see if we could get some

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Wow you guys really had a great time an some awesome fish caught. Been too many skunks here for myself lately catching nothing. Always glad to hear when someone is having good luck. Thanks for the post!

16. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    where did you have it dickie....at the old dock?..............:wink:

17. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kevin it was downriver a little from there near the old steam engine an wooden tugboat cabin on the bank. What do you bait your trap with ,we used mennhaden shrimp an sqid in ours

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  18. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    i know where thats at!...out of harms way!....:smile2:...shrimp...in a plastic peanut butter jar with a bunch of holes drilled in it.............thro a few pieces of loose bait in the bait chamber too!..........i said i was going in the morning........i think ill wait and head down a little later....try to meet up with randy when i get there!:wink: