9/29 - 10/1 Roosevelt & Salt Rivers results

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by anakin, Oct 1, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Rosevelt/Saltriver results !

Friday nite fished Schoolhouse, had one run on a live gill but missed the hook up.

Saterday nite fished the upper salt with live gills & pulled out a 20 #, & a 40 # early Sunday morning. Also saw a 38# pulled out from someone in the group next to us off of worms !

P.s. excuse the crack on the last pic ! lol

Attached Files:

2. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Dwaine,
    Congrad's on the fish dude:cool2: :cool2: Look's like it was fun to handle!! Is that the river behind you?, look's like clear water, you can't get a boat up there can ya? Guess the season's not over yet is it? Good job man, may you have many more!!!!!

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Great fish man! Congrats! I was down there all Saturday night and left Sunday about 9:00 a.m. I was camping down at Ead's wash, we were using nightcrawlers and cut and live bluegill. Last 3-4 nights we've been down there, NOT A SINGLE RUN ALL NIGHT. I don't know what we are doing wrong. Like I said before, we fish at Ead's wash, where did you set up? I am getting frustrated about that stretch of upper salt. I love the area, but can't figure out what is going on. You did real good though, really nice fish you caught there.

4. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    majority - Its not you man. All the locals I spoke with say the fish have been weird this year.

5. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Ike - I had a blast. Always love being on the water, but its even better when im actually catching fish.

Yes, that was the part of the river I caught em at. Unless it was flooded, theres no way to get a boat up there. You could barley make out the diversion dam from where we were fishing.

I caught my only other flathead up until this weekend on 9/9/05. About the same time of year. The season being over is more me not wanting to be out in the cold rather then flatheads possibly not biting.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice job on the flattys.

The salt is hot~ you can't deny...

Great job on the release. Is 40# your new PB?

* I will probably head up there again this weekend.. It is such a long drive for me, but with the action this hot, It should be worth it...

7. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    azflats - not sure, the first big one i caught got away before i could weigh it. fishergirl says my first was bigger then this last one though. Hard to tell from pics because im holding them a lil different but the previous big one does look a lil longer then this last one.

Im in Tucson so I know about long rides but worth every min. when I catch em.

8. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Headed out in a few minutes. I'll post a report when I get back tomorrow. You can bet we will be fishing the river with action this hot!!!!!!

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Hey Tom,

I have to ask if you CPR'd the big flattie in your profile pic.

If you did, maybe that is the same one that Andy caught :lol:

I never thought about that until now.

Just a thought.

Ryan

P.S. Let us know how you do....I may have to pursuade my wife into letting me go out again before the end of the year.

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    By the way Anakin,

Congrats on the nice flatties. It is nice to see you guys catching some good-sized fish

Ryan

11. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yes I did and the same thought crossed my mind. The one I caught was in the same area so who knows.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    We should start putting BOC shark tags on the fish we catch with the date..
    ~ Well, maybe not... lol.:lol:

I think Tom's fish is much much bigger by now, unless someone else caught and removed it... His was 65# over a year ago....

These big flattys up that river are feeding on all those carp...
    ~ And there are a lot of them, (carp).
    Plus, there are no small carp.. So I doubt they are eating light meals..

BIG BAIT= BIG FISH

13. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Great job Anikin. Great pics. I'll bet pulling those babies out of the river was a blast. I haven't fished there for a long time. May try it soon. gonna hit Patagonia again this week. I brightened up you pic of releasing the big one. Hope you don't mind. Rick

Attached Files:

• cat.jpg
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
  14. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Good luck at patagonia ! Thks for brightening the pic. I was experimenting with the exposure on my digi cam for the last pic. I think im start saving the experimenting for pics that dont really matter.

15. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well I'm back. Had a few runs but no hook ups. Flatheads won again. Man it has been a frustrating year!!!!! Hope to get a few more trips in. Were not giving up that easy!

16. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

If you didn't catch the same fish, you probably caught its brother. :smile2:
    Both fish are nice lookin flatties.

Tom,

I will say that this year at Roosevelt has been a different one for me too. I have had the hardest time there catching bait. Now that I know that cut carp can do some damage it changes things quite a bit.

I guess that is one of the reasons I started going to the lower Colorado instead. The bait is much easier to get and the past few times has warranted 20 good baitfish in about 25-30 minutes. It would take forever to get that many baitfish at Roosevelt.

Anyway, the flatheads may have won this last trip but they will see things change at some point in time.

Ryan

17. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Heres another rookie question so please be kind. Where is there access to the upper salt river, the only area I am familiar with is the popular tubing area near a bridge. Is the bridge area worth trying. Any reply is appreciated, James.

18. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I always boat from the main lake up the river when I fish the river, I have never driven to the river like some folks have..

Unlike Bartlett where the Yellow Cliffs ramp is right on the river (Verde)

* Correct me if I am wrong, ( I have never done it) but isn't the area where folks tube below Roosevelt? (Below the dam?)

19. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I think the bridge ur referring to is above rosevelt on the way to payson right? its about 100 yards up from the diversion dam. Anywhere below the diversion dam is prime flathead waters. Ive never tried fishing above it.

20. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Fishergirl & I have for along time now thought live small carp where the best bait for flatheads & definetly the most hardiest. (ive had small carp in the 4 inch range stay alive hooked between the eyes with both eyes missing with nothing there but bare eyesockets) Talk about a tuff fish. This is unheard of with any other baitfish that ive ever delt with.
    Although Ive never used cut carp for bait Ive always believed they were very similar to goldfish & recall as a kid being told that goldfish should only be put in a fish tank with other fish that can handle certain oils that they seem to release. Which lead me to believe that perhaps carp release a similar oil that is easily picked up by flatheads & the reason why its one of the best baits to use for us arizona catfishermen & gals.