9/2 Grand River Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Sep 3, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    What a night to be on the river!
    Too cold for mosquitoes, sky clear and starry, and some hungry fish, too.
    I caught & released a 20# snapping turtle, a 4.5# flat, a 13.9# flat, and a 7.5# channel. (pics later)
    The hot bait was bluegills, and the two bigger fish both took theirs presented 5' below a slip float over a 7' hole.
    All circle hooks, all corner of the mouth except the snapper- who has a case of indigestion right about now.
    As I was leaving, I discovered that all these years I've been fishing right near a truly great spot without knowing about it, but I do now. Can't wait to go back.
    Life is good!
    Happy Labor Day!

Side note: There's been rumors about a 49# flathead caught & released without an official weigh in as the new state record. Well, such a fish was caught, it was at Muskegon Lake, but it was at least "3 or 4 years ago...".
    So, I guess we can put that one to rest.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a heck of a night, congrats. I am heading out after work in the am, now.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Here's the 13 pounder from 9/2.
    My boat is about 56" accross there near the bow, so the fish must have been around 27" or so- about right for that weight.

Oops, forgot to attach the pic, see next...

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    There... this time I think I got it...

Attached Files:

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Glad to hear you had a good trip Tony. I too was on the river Saturday evening and the weather was perfect. Bugs were'nt too bad and we even saw a huge shooting star around 10:30pm. The fishing however was terrible. The lower Grand is loaded with both Alewives and Gizzard Shad right now, which makes the fishing tuff. We caught two turtles, a 24" Gar, and only 2 channel cats. Could not get anything going but turtles on cut bait. That's a first for me. The two channel cats were caught on my new favorite bait, Salmon Spawn. It's the only thing I was able to catch a cat on this week. I did not try livebait at all this week. Sounds like I should have.

Dan