8mm

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by gatortail, Aug 30, 2009.

1. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey fellas i got an 8mm mauser its a nice gun 1939 model and i want to get it tapped 4 a scope do yall think itll work?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Don,
    The 98 Model Mauser is a well designed rifle,,, in the 8mm ctg, is a good caliber, and will do a nice job on North American Game.
    It might be a good idea to have the chamber and bore, as well as the over condition of the rifle to be checked by a qualified gun guy.
    IF the rifle happens to be a Checkoslavian, BRNO model, you've got a nice one..

If you are going to put a scope on the rifle, then the Bolt handle will need to be altered to clear the scope ,. and, if you're going to go to all that trouble, then a nice adjustable trigger is also a beneficial addition.
    G

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Google Mauser scope,,, I did and there are scope mounts that fit where the site is,,,,,no gun smith work required,,, plus the one outfit had left over sniper scopes from WW2,,,, heck,the scope and mount was a little over 100 dollars..

I have a Chek one,,, the swastica was ground off the reciever,,,,it will punch holes threw 3/8s flat bar,,,,with the old surplus ammo.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent rifle. Barrels were some of the best ever made.

5. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks fellas its a nice old gun and ive got a ton of them im just wantin to fixer up

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I wouldn't mess with any of the aftermarket or military scope mounts for it. The aftermarket ones utilize the rear sight base on the barrel and that's really the only place that the base is secured. A lot of the military ones are like that too. Besides being bulky, heavy, and easily knocked out of zero.

Take it to a gunsmith, get the headspace checked on it (if you've never fired it) before you shoot it. Have them drill/tap it for bases and bend the bolt handle so that it'll clear the scope. Much more secure and much better looking. Then have them install (if you don't want to do it) an aftermarket adjustable trigger. You can go simple and get a Bold (around $40 or so) or get fancy and spend up to a couple hundred on a trigger. I'd get the Bold, it's got a good clean pull, set it around 3-4lbs.

Something to keep aware of, you can end up sinking a good chunk of money into guns like this without even thinking about it. But for what you want, I think that you should be able to get mounts, trigger, bolt work for under $200. Probably less, depending on who you know that can do it.

Mauser military guns are great guns, well made, accurate, and the 8mm is a fine round. American hunting ammo is usually a bit weak, slightly better than a 30/30 ballistically. Get some ammo from Mitchell's Mausers, Norma, or Sellier/Bellott that's loaded to the ability of the round, and you're good for anything that the 30-06 can do.

If you're just looking for a hunting gun, you could also go with a base model Mossberg ATR, Stevens 200, or Marlin bolt action in .270. .308, 30-06, etc. Shop around and you can get new ones for under $300 or even less (gunbroker.com). Then you've got a beater of a rifle that will shoot good, shoot cheap, have a good trigger, and have readily available quality ammo. Honestly, it'll probably shoot better too. Most companies don't put their best efforts in the "odd" calibers.

I'm not trying to steer you away from sporterizing your Mauser, I just hate to see the old guns getting cut on. You're never going to find their like again. If it's original, no matter how many you have, I'd leave it that way. That's just me. IMHO

7. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks for the info i will consider that i have a bunch of guns lol i was just wantin to put it back in action.i did alot of chemo treatment and it messed up my eyes thats why i need a scope

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Being on the wrong side of 50, I understand the desire for a scope. Just have it drilled and tapped. You will need the bolt handle turned. If you are a handloader, the 8MM can be an impressive round. With factory stuff Norma is tough to beat. Just my $.02

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ive got one and they are awesome guns, only reason i didnt mount a scope on mine is because i think it is to heavy to pack all around the hills here in easter KY. I may take it with me on a doe hunt this year just to see what it does. they are really good guns though.

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 8 mm mauser is an excellant weapon. My son has pole axed several whitetails with a 150 spire point. We bent the bolt,tapped it for a scope and added an adjustable trigger. It will shoot MOA consistently. He uses it for a dark timber gun for elk or shots out to 200 yds a piece of cake. Beyond is a .300 win mag with handloads. He poofed a magpie at 364 yds with the .300 once.:big_smile:

11. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    found out mine is a turkish made in germany and im gettin it tapped

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    thats the way id go if and when i put one on mine. uses an extended eye relief scope and i think its called a SCOUT style. check out the mounts tho, some are better than others.:big_smile::cool2:

13. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ive got about 1000 rds for it but ive got to get sum huntin rds

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    try AMMO TO GO :big_smile::cool2:

15. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Scout rifle concept I believe is what they call the forward mounted scopes. Col. Jeff Cooper(?) promoted that set up. Good set up for the russian M-44's, SKS's and Nagants etc. Ought to work and look good on a Mauser. Ive been tempted to buy one of those Mitchell Mausers for several years.

16. Mosin

Mosin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    mitchell's mausers says the k98's have all dired up. No more left to import. If this is true you might regret tapping that gun in a few years. But then again mitchell's mausers is known to Bull $h&t people just to sell guns.

17. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The question is not how many are left to be imported the real question is how many do they have in warehouses here already? If they have none they are worth more than if they have 50,000 in storage.
    It still makes a good selling point to say the supply dried up!