8hp Johnson trouble

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by jlingle, Jun 6, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I bought an 8hp Johnson motor off a buddy of mine and he said it ran great the last time he ran it (duck season?) Anyway, I loaned it to a friend who was having trouble with his motor Saturday and he said my motor started fine and ran for about 20 seconds then quit. He couldn't get it started again. Before he took the motor, I asked if he had fresh gas in his tank and he said his gas was good.

I went and got it a little while ago, and noticed that on gas line, his plastic part that attached to the tank was cracked. I couldn't even keep a pressurized bulb on the line when I tried to feed gas to the motor.

Do you think the problem with the fuel line or bad gas could be the problem?

Jerrod

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sounds like the problem (cracked line) It will create an airleak and disrupt the fuel flow to the carb. Bulb not staying pressurized is an indication of an airleak

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A short list of things you don't lend out to anybody.

Your hunting dog
    Your guns
    Your boat or motor
    Your wife

All these things can come back needing repair.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    yeah make sure it had oil in it!~

Hi bob.

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I cleaned the plugs and put fresh gas and oil in my own tank..... shazam. The motor works. Runs like a top. I'd say that his cracked fuel line was the culprit.

Jerrod

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good work Jerrod.

His possible poor gas and tank could've caused serious damage.

7. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi try spraying a little starting spray in carb and pull see if it hits or tryes to start if so get new gas line if has sat up for a long wile ,,pull carb off held on with (2) 7/16 nuts but first pull off pull starsing gear so you can get to both nuts ,,,take the bowl off (1) 1/2 inch bolt then clean bowl THANKS TIMDO:big_smile:

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well, took the little motor to the lake this evening to give it a whirl. It runs like a striped ape. I put it on my buddy's 16 ft. flatbottom boat, and he and I rode around fishing a little bit. Didn't catch any fish, but that wasn't really my intent tonight. I just wanted to see if the motor was okay, and it sure exceeded my expectations.

Jerrod